Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Custom VS Massproduction? >

Custom VS Massproduction?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Custom VS Massproduction?

Old 12-27-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Custom VS Massproduction?

Like many of my other fellow turkey hunters, when Istarted turkey hunting most of my calls came from Wal-Mart or other places that sold massproduction calls.

I would find myself buying five to ten calls a year, just to keep maybe one of them b/c the rests either lost their "sweet spot" or just didn't sound good.

So, I am sure I was like many others and started looking into custom calls, but was turned off by their prices. I just couldn't afford them. Then I started looking around on turkey hunting forums and gathering people's names who made custom calls for HUNTERS and not for show.

One of the first custom callsI got was a glass pot call made my Alex Williams. He actually sent me this call for my birthday as a surprise. After that, I don't think I have paid one penny for any massproduction calls.

After looking at it, I actually came out cheaper by buying custom calls instead of 100's of massproduction calls. Most of these guys only want enough money to cover the materials and shipping and a few pics of the turkeys you call in when their calls.

The same goes with mouth calls as well. I like Cain Creek mouth calls which are the same price and in a lot of cases cheaper than the big named mass produced calls.

If I were to give a new turkey hunter some advice on calls, it would be to leave the mass production stuff alone and invest in good custom calls. It may look more expensive up front, but in the end you will save a lot of money. Oh yeah, I am not bashing all mass production calls, my Knight & Hale alumi-strut goes with me everyday and is the first call I strike on just about every hunt. But man, the calls I have to go through to find that one good one.

This is just some of my thoughts. So, what do ya'll think?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:36 PM

Default RE: Custom VS Massproduction?

I think your right. I mean all my box calls are mass production (Quaker Boy) and some mouth calls are as well (Quaker Boy, Primos). Like i said earlier the Cane Creek custom slates and glass, as well as the originals plus the mouth calls are a huge hit here in KY. I cant wait to go to the spring hunting seminar at one of the local stores since Cane Creek will be there demonstrating!!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't bash Custom Call makers at all

But Everyone to their own. I use mass and have killed a few birds in my days ...BT
Old 12-27-2005, 06:59 PM

Yeah, I also have some mass production calls that have gotten the job done. But it is or has been for me, hard to find a good one w/o going through a lot of bad ones.

Cane Creek is just an example. I love their mouth calls. Not saying they are the best or anything, but so far they are the best for ME that I have found.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

I use some primos mouth calls from Wal-Mart.
And a slate and a Slatec.

I have made some strikers.

I also have made a box call of my own.
I made one and gave it way.
I think theres more satisfaction in making my own calls.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it really depends on the call, some mass produced calls are pathetic such as the "Egg" and the "Lonesome Hen" and a few slates and boxes but then there are other "custom call" makers that branched out and produce excellent calls which are still tested one by one before packaging. One example and everyone knows my affiliation is River Valley Game Calls. The MOJO, for example as well as the rest of their line, is still assembled one at a time, hand tuned, tested and packaged by knowledgable people....you'll see them on the stands next to all the other ones but can still be satisfied with a custom call....you can't put all call manufacturers in one basket...there are a few "mass produced" calls that sound 99% better than some custom calls....as well, you can't put all "custom calls" in one basket as well......I've picked up some "custom calls" I wouldn't spend a penny on but some I would......

Old 12-28-2005, 08:57 AM

Personally, I believe that as a whole, there is no comparison between a mass produced mouth call and a mouth call hand-built by a competition caller. A lot of people don't realize that a premiummouth call doesn't cost butabout 30-40 cents to make, so a competition caller may build himself hundreds or thousands in a year and they get very good.

Cane Creek does make a call that I love called "lost poult," It's a two-reed ghost-cut call that is fairly easy to kee-kee on.

Another brand is Legacy Game calls. They are out ofSouth Carolina and made by William Terry, an extemely experienced and accomplished caller. Thosecalls are top-notch.

In my opinion, these handmade, competition quality mouth calls and others like them, are much better than mass produced ones.

When it comes to friction calls and especially "slate calls" , my opinion differs. I have an Ol yeller, MAD aluminator, and a Lohman slate call in my vest. Box calls, I lean back toward the custom ones. You can find absolutelty SWEET sounding boxes from guys that eyes light up when they see a piece of wood to build a call with. I mean ABSOLUTE CRAFTSMAN. They put their heart and soul into a box call and man a custom box may be the sweetest hen sound you'll ever make.

With that said, if you know to work a turkey call, and get the cadence, rhythm, and pitch correct, you'll kill turkeys with whatever you have in your mouth or hands.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Most people that I know that like Cane Creek, love the lost poult, but myself, I can't get it to make a good sound at all. LOL. Shows you how different people's mouths are.

I love the Mr. Death and Tuff Man.

I didn't know that Legacy calls were made by a guy from SC. I've never really looked into them. I will buy a few for this season to give them a try. I like to support our local guys/girls.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 AM

Give any of the Legacy calls a try. Gameacc.net.... All the calls are great...seriously, they all have different sounds and are all top-quality.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes to mouth calls,I have mine special made.Alot folks won't agree with me but I have a little mouth(narrow)So I guess my mouth calls are custom calls.When it comes to friction calls I only use mass produced.They get the job done and it doesn't hurt so bad when I leave it in the woods[:@]If I had a dollar for every call and striker I've lost over the years I'd have as much money as Rob Rob,You gonna be at the Harris burg show?

Quick Reply: Custom VS Massproduction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.