Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen? >

2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen?

Old 12-19-2005, 12:39 PM

Default 2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen?

It was two years ago, last weekend of the spring turkey season. I had 3 big gobblers staring at my decoy hangin up at about 100 yards. They wouldn’t respond to nothing! Just stood there laughing at me and my decoy while I was getting eatin’ alive by the darn mosquito’s. I was set back in the woods about 10 yards and the decoy and the tom’s were in the field. They slowly moved off across the hedgerow into the adjacent field. As soon as they disappeared I took off running along the joining woods and snuck my way through the perpendicular hedge row to the one the turkeys were headed through. I couldn’t of timed it better. Just as they were breaking out into the 2’ tall grass field I was popping through at the corner waiting for them. They were in a slight depression so I was able to crawl within 40 yards of them, as I popped up I seen two of them and picked one out quickly before they spotted me and BANG! The other one flew off and as I approach to collect my trophy what do I find but two dead 22lbs Tom’s both with 10inch beards flopping on the ground. I was extatic! The other bird was lined up directly behind the other and I didn’t even see him.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen?

i've never had it happen(i haven't killed a turkey yet) but a guy i know took i think 3 in one shot. two were close then there was a 3rd on back in the woods that he didn't see.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:15 PM

a guy I know got 4 lol Id like to et 2 and be happy

Old 12-19-2005, 01:46 PM

A couple of years ago, my brother in law and I were hunting together and had a trio of nice gobblers fly down off the roost and over our heads to a small valley on the other side of a hill we were sitting on. After trying to call them back over the hill, we got impatient and decided that we'd crest the hill ever so slowly to try and see where they'd gone. So, we got up and started up the hill. Just as we crested the hill, we both saw three heads pop up over the top on the other side. Running to the top of the hill, the three birds scattered. One hit the air to the left and the other two started running to the right. My brother in law popped off a shot at the one in the air to no avail. I had the running shot, so I picked the gobbler that was closest to me and popped off a round. Well, the other gobbler was running down the hill at an angle and lined up perfectly with my gobbler, just a mere 25 yards behind him. I ended up cutting both gobblers down with one shot, completely by accident.

The biggest surprise was yet to come though. One bird was 21 lbs, with a 9.5" beard and 1.5" spurs. The second bird was 22 lbs, with two beards (2.5" and 7.5") and 1.25" spurs. Two of the biggest birds I've ever killed.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:51 PM

I have actually had the same thing happen, but it was pure luck. Last year, I had a sweet setup with two decoys out and I was concealed behind a nice low blue oak. I had been calling for about three hours, and I knew the gobblers were around. I finally drew two gobblers in, and the first was certainly the more dominate one since it kept the other tom behind him at all times. I took a shot with my compound for the first one, and I had a pass through and stuck the other bird. The only problem was that the second Tom that was stuck with the pass through shot, took off about 150-200 yards down until it bled out. Took me awhile to track it, since there was blood splatter everywhere throughout the trail. But in all, I was one lucky man. To this day, never had that happen again, probably will never happen again, but at least it happened once. Although, in my daily ground squirrel hunts, I have taken double and triple kills with those guys. To everyone on here, whether you hunt, varmint, fish, or photograph wildlife, an early Merry Christmas to all, and all good luck in hunts next year.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter_15

a guy I know got 4 lol Id like to et 2 and be happy
Four with one shot...thats crazy! Awesome stories guys, keep'um comin.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Twice times.

dog1
Old 12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never done it yet but I think it would be awesome. I'll definately give it a try.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it also depends on the regs where you hunt. Here in RI, there is a one bird limit. Maybe I'm the exception here, but I've waited until Toms separated so that I wouldn't nail two with one shot. I waited to make sure I didn't get the second bird at the risk of potentially losing them both.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never happened nor would I want it to. In PA you get one tag, well it'll be two this next season however even with two tags I wouldn't want to end my hunt in one shot even if legal. I'd rather take one bird and hunt another day. It's not about the kill for me, it's all about the hunt.

If done by accident I suppose ya'll should be glad it was legal, 1st rule of shooting, Identify your target.

Quick Reply: 2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.