Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

white turkeys

Old 11-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Default white turkeys

hello, to all im new on this site, and really enjoy reading all the post.. but i have a question about white turkeys, on my pawpaws farm where we hunt every year here in kentucky. i noticed what time i was deer hunting down there this year, two different flocks of wild turkeys came under my stand and each flock had one snow ball white turkey in it.. how rare is this are there any records on albino turkeys. give me any info on this because im going to see about tring to get me one, this fall season.. looking foward from hearing something on this tanks for your time to read and respond..[&:]
Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 PM

Default RE: white turkeys

Of over the 200 turkeys that comes through my land and my neighbors, I have had more than 14 white turkeys. It is an trait that is usually not wanted by traditionalist hunters, and fish and game, since the white turkeys tend to keep the predators right at their feet, not to mention people who drive by slam on their brakes and cause an accident because they haven't seen a white wild turkey( it has happened several times, and the only thing I do is shake my head). Fish and game in California in the past, would come out and thin the availability of white turkeys appearing. Records, I am not sure of, but generally the whites here are regarded as sore thumbs for the coyotes and bobcats, so I am happy to take some through the year to help with that. I took one some years back at weighed a hefty 21 pounds.....and good eating if you prepare it well...Deep fryer all the way over here in Cali...
Old 11-28-2005, 07:21 PM

thank you for the reply it all make sence of what you said. i didnt know if it was a rare thing or not but im going to try to get me one it would look good in my hunting room. thanks again

Old 11-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

my friend shot a white hen this year in SD. he is getting it mounted i saw pics and its really cool looking
Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Dominant Buck

You sure it was'nt someones pet?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

I think that the solidwhites are a product of cross breeding with a domestic somewhere. Now I have seen several turkeys in Indiana that were pie-bald. I am starting to see alot of copper fase colors also. Like mentioned alot of hunters will remove these birds from the flock, If I had a shot at oneI would take it. LAst spring i saw a huge pie-bald tom that had, i bet a 13 inch beard. I would love to have him mounted.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TurkeyStalker

I think that the solidwhites are a product of cross breeding with a domestic somewhere. Now I have seen several turkeys in Indiana that were pie-bald. I am starting to see alot of copper fase colors also. Like mentioned alot of hunters will remove these birds from the flock, If I had a shot at oneI would take it. LAst spring i saw a huge pie-bald tom that had, i bet a 13 inch beard. I would love to have him mounted.

Yeah, that's possible!
Old 11-29-2005, 02:34 PM

I have never seen a white turkey in the wild, but I know a few years ago here in Missouri there was a turkey taken by a guy that would have been the state record for weight, but it ended up the turkey had a little to much white on it and I guess with DNA testing the MDC decided it was a domestic and wid turkey mix. The turkey was not allowed to be therecord.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:00 PM
c j
Typical Buck

My guess is that the majority of the white turkeys are (former) domestics. Which, of course is all the more reason to take them out when you get a chance.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

last year turkey & turkey hunting mag. had an artical about these turkeys. i wish i could find it. but i know they said it had nothing to do w/ domestic breeding.

Quick Reply: white turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.