Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Suggestions/comments for taking a 5yr old >

Suggestions/comments for taking a 5yr old

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Suggestions/comments for taking a 5yr old

Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suggestions/comments for taking a 5yr old

Hey everybody,
I plan on taking my daughter Fall hunting with me this year. We can hunt sunrise to sunset in the Fall, so I'll be taking her in the afternoon. She just turned 5 at the end of August, and she is rip-roaring ready to go!

I'm getting a pop-up blind to help conceal her jitters and perpetual movement. I have some camo for her, and I've assisted teaching hunter ed before so the safety department is shored up well.

Just wondering, for those of you that have taken your child/children before at such a young age, do you have any specific suggestions or comments which will aid me in taking my daughter afield the first times.

I just worry that her overzealousness may become a safety issue, and that she will eventually get bored. Thanks in advance...

S&R
Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Suggestions/comments for taking a 5yr old

when i took my kids out into the woods at the first sign of bordom i would unload the gun and let the kid lead me through the woods exploring.

doing this helped the child stretch their legs and get their hands dirty...so to speak. after some walking about i would ask them if they wanted to go back and hunt some more.... more often than not they wouldsay yes and i would be good to go for a few hours more. those times that they just wanted to walk the woods... i let them.

just take your time with your daughter and you will have a hunting partner... for life

best of luck to you and your daughter this coming season.

p.s.... go easy on the drink and snack unless you know for a fact that your daughter has no problems with using the woods as a bathroom
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

I took my then 5 year old son on a spring hunt 2 years ago. The blind is definately a good way to go. I used a blind, and it helped out big time. We had 7 birds in a field in front of us and he stood up and sat down, and counted the birds and pointed at them and whispered to me several times and the birds never knew we were there. As soon as the birds left, so did his patience, so we got up and left as soon as he got bored. I don't know if it's allowable in your state, but you may want to combine the fall turkey hunt with a squirrel hunt when she gets bored. Get up and walk around and shoot some squirrels you may come accross. That way she won't lose interest as quickly. Good luck to you and your daughter!! I also suggest a camera or camcorder, as her first hunt is a big moment in your lives, and is a day you both will remember for a long time to come.

Slice

Old 09-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

S&R congrats bud,I do miss those young moments with my boys!Main thing is,have patience with her!They wiggle and talk as you know but do the best you can to teach at that young of an age!Make sure she knows your enjoying yourself, and do the best you can as long as she'll listen on describing the outdoors and all the turkey woods has to offer besides the birds themselves!The blind is an absolute must at that young age!Above all I would reccommend making it a short sweet hunt!If you know where the birds will absolutely be and about what time they'll show themselves your off to a great start and truly the beginning of many memories afield!Good luck to the both of you!!! Bob
Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 PM

I agree with what others have said. When she is tired of it, don't try to get "just a few more minutes" out of her. I am taking my son for the first time, and he is 7 and also very fired up about it too. We will be bringing along his gameboy with the head phones as well as some cards and "quite" games. He also really loves the woods, so I expect we will be taking some walks too. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

why not bring a coloring book or her favorite doll......she can play with that in the blind(a must)....dont make it too long if she wants to go, call it a day, the worse thing you can do is make her be there......try teaching her to cluck and purr, maybe she can call one in for ya......i gave my nephew a call, the first time he had ever even seen one, he picked it up and was a natural....he was 4-5 at the time....
Old 09-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Huntnma...she's been playing with my "spare" turkey and locator calls since she could walk......and IMO, is a better crow caller than her Dad...[8D]
Old 09-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Strut&Rut

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Huntnma...she's been playing with my "spare" turkey and locator calls since she could walk......and IMO, is a better crow caller than her Dad...[8D]
i should of known, that is great [8D]