Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

double bearded turkey

Old 06-03-2005, 08:16 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default RE: double bearded turkey

Well I had been watching this bird for about 6 months. On the first day of season he went right and I went left. NO BIRD THAT DAY. He had been following this hen for the last week. Where ever the hen went that's where the tom would go. I thought I had it figured out where they were going each day. On the second day of season the hen was coming right at where I was setup. Ok this is it right, wrong I had a hunter scare 3 toms and another hen my way. The tom I was after went into full strut toward the new hen. Oh no I though, now what am I going to do? The hen that he had been after all week went right by me at about 25 yards and kept right on going to feed for the morning. The tom went nuts. He gobble his head off trying to stop that hen from leaving him. She was about 200 yards from him now and he took off running for her, stoping about every 75 yards and going into full strut. The only problem is now he is angling away from me as he passes by. I knew that it was now or never, so I took the shot. One shot with 3 1/2 #5 12 guage at 45 yards. It stop him in his tracks. I was so glad to see him flopping around. I was afraid he would take off running after a long shot like that. He had 1" spurs and weight 22 lbs. Yes I plan on having him mounted. It's not everday that you shoot a double bearded tom like this one. car
Old 06-04-2005, 09:15 AM

That's among the collest double bearders I've seen...congrats!
Old 06-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice!!!Congrats for sure!![8D]
Old 06-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking beards. They are both real long!