Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Season ends in a Bang!

Old 05-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Season ends in a Bang!

Well today was a slow start, so slow that the same person that was with me yesterday could not get up today untill late. She was wore out from yesterday so I had no problems with that. So that some know as to what this is about . Jannette went into the Toronto Hospital on the Morning of April 25th for a 6 hour surgery for a massive brain tumor. Since she has spent every day in the house waiting out the stories of the people I have taken out. She is and has been active in Turkey hunting but could not even think of getting out of the house over the season. In the last couple days she has felt like she has had a couple good days and wondered if I could take her to the woods for a couple hours to let her hear some gobbling. I told her yes but only with a Tag. We tried my new 20 gauge with the scope and she seemed to beable to see well enough to get the crosshairs on the target , but the shaking was something that concerned her, this is something she has had since the operation. I said that she could lean the gun on something to hold it a little better if she had to try to shoot.

I as well need to kick up the feet in the afternoons as I have hunted since March 21st starting in Florida. So its an afternoon nap time for us both.

At 3:30pm Jannette wakes up and asked if I was planning on going out and my reply was if you want to ,its the last few hours of the season. She said that she would like to go out and at lease hear a bird gobble if she can. We got ready and off we went. Jannette is only good for about 2-2.5 hours to stay awake , so I think this afternoon hunt will only be a 2.5 hour sit. We head for the place that I shot my last bird and a friend had seen a gobbler in the other afternoon. We take our time and walk back in and find a setup close to the field and I place out a decoy.

We sat on both sides of this one tree , her facing one way and me the other. I waited out about an hour and I heard a gobble come from the Caynon below, so I pulled out the ol trusty Mini Boat Padle and gave a few Clucks and a soft yelp or two and in a few minutes we hear 3 different birds gobble back.

Jannette is happy and tells me so as she heard the gobbling also. Time passes and I hear another bird gobble in the field we are in but below a ridge at the other end of this field. I call lightly back to it and don't get a answer. So we sit quietly and I placed jannettes gun in a small shooting rest I made from a sapling. I look at my watch and its 5:30 pm. We sat for some time and never heard a thing for a good 1.5 or so. After this time I whisper to jannette and ask if she has the gun sock for the gun, She says No. Well I said we have to leave at 6:45 because its a 10 minute walk for us and I want my new gun cased by 7:00pm.

I let out a good old yelping from the boat paddle for the last time and waited out a 5 minute wait and started to pack up the calls in my vest. I leaned over and poped up on my knees to stand up and Holy crap ! Theres a gobbler walking right at us about 40 yards away. I whisper to Jannette and tell her ones coming and its right there! in front of us get your gun over on the shooting stick. I said get ready he coming into view and do your best.

As the gobbler moves closer its right on top of us and walks out into the lane and stands . Jannette takes aim and BANG! .......

What a increadable ending to the season , I look at my watch and it is 6:50 right on the nose. This was the hunt of my life , to she my girl kill a long beard after what she has been through. The birds stats are,,,
19.75 lb
9 3/4 BD
3/4 spurs.....
Old 06-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Season ends in a Bang!

now thats what i'm talking about............wooohoooooo , congrats to both of you [8D]
Old 06-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Woke up this mornoing and read your story, this is beyond being a good story! Looks like a few prayers have been answered! Hope she continues well on her recovery
Old 06-01-2005, 06:10 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is... AWEESOME! A hunt of a lifetime for sure. Continued good luck in recovery

BHW
Old 06-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Really nice bird! I hope she gets better.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, your Jannette is a trooper beyond belief!!!

Congratulations big time!

I am happy for both of you.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to both of you!!Great story and gobbler to boot!!Hope your recovery keeps coming along well Janette!!A good walk/hunt in the turkey woods will lift anyones spirit!!Cool pic!!![8D]
Old 06-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! That is awesome!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boss,

I think your smiles say everything that needed to be said. Could not be happier for you both. Wishing you both the best for the coming months, be sure to get your rest, I'm sure you both need it...

chris
Old 06-02-2005, 03:22 PM

Congrats on a memorable hunt BT.
I hope the recovery goes well.

Quick Reply: Season ends in a Bang!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.