Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What did you learn this year? >

What did you learn this year?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What did you learn this year?

Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 AM

Default RE: What did you learn this year?

One of my favorite posts to reply to on this forum!

Get as close as you possibly can to a gobbling tom before calling.

Get on the same level that the gobbler is on.....very difficult to call them "downhill" in open woods.

Prepare a "mental checklist" i.e. proper sight picture, & safe firing zone BEFORE firing.

If you have any doubts about your shot.....DON'T TAKE IT! ...you can always hunt him another day.

A wounded tom can HIDE in grass that wouldn't cover a rabbit[:-]

Make EVERY effort to find a wounded tom....JUST KEEP LOOKING!

Sometimes gobblers will "beat up" a wounded tom (saw this for the first time this year[:-]

If another hunter is in "your" area, it is safer to just leave.

It feels great to PASS UP a gobbler (catch and release)!

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest lesson learned: Remember the three Ps---patience, persistence, perseverance---and practice diligently.

Other lessons:

1) Hot toms can travel long distances quickly. I had heard of gobblers covering 200 yards in 5 minutes, but I had a few that covered 1/4 to 1/2 mile in 15 minutes. Simply amazing when you consider that turkeys were not built for speedy locomotion.

2) Know where the birds are, and if not, do everything in your power to get them to shock gobble on the roost. All the sign in the world will not tell you where that tom is located right now...

3) There is no such thing as call shy gobblers. It's more about the right place and the right time with the proper calling cadence

4) Just as with deer hunting, your best opportunity to harvest a bird on a new property is the initial hunt. Do your homework.

5) Adult gobblers are tough! My second bird, a huge 3-year old, took 3 shots of Winchester's X-tended Range #6 from 35 yards and under. He had also been shot at before, and had leg scar tissues which encapsulated #4 copper shot...just plain ole' tough!

Concepts reinforced:

1) Patience, period. Two of my three birds were killed with nothing other...

2) A comfortable & appropriate setup is one of the key elements in success, and worth the extra 5 minutes to find.

3) There's no such thing as, "too many calls"...

4) Expect the unexpected, and you won't be surprised at the outcome.

5) Enjoy yourself the entire time. If you need a day off, take a day off. Enjoy the birds singing, and the spring blossoms. If it feels like a job, it better be your occupation, because otherwise it's a passion and a hobby...

6) Pattern, pattern and pattern your gun. Make even the smallest change, go pattern again.

7) A great caller not only knows how to use all the calls, but when to use the calls...

8) If the gobbler is "close enough", wait a few minutes and let the bird get even closer. Five yards is easy to misjudge at ground level, especially on a field edge or over uneven ground.

9) The only way to kill a turkey, is to get your butt outta' bed and hunt a turkey. 3:30am really sucks sometimes, but if that's what it takes---then that's what you do...

10) Share, reward and thank those that helped you during the season. From family to friends to landowners to state DNR, thank everybody. Remember yourself on that list, because you are the one that eventually harvested the bird...
Old 06-01-2005, 12:08 PM

I learned never say I got you now, until after you pull the trigger and you have a boot on his neck.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow.......GREAT POST!
okay i learned alot for two states.
OHIO: Most birds i kill in Ohio, are from 110:00-1200(quitting time)
-If one gobbles around 11:30 and he is close, i WILL kill that bird, its a done deal, he just dont know it yet.
-I learned what a "putt" sounds like for the first time(never heard one) LOL.
Kentucky: I learned that evening hunting is just as good or better than morning hunting.
-I learned that opening day is usually the jakes gobbling there heads off.
-When i dont see any toms in the fields strutting, its stilll too early in the season, and it can change in a period of 24 hours!!!
-I learned that listening to the gobbles in the dark sitting in the morning dew, there is just something REALLY special about that.
-I learned if a tom comes up on you and you have your gun down, its better to raise your gun slow and shoot quick,so he dont take off flying.
-I learned that a muffled gobble.........means he is coming and is REALLY CLOSE.

-last one, i learned that i have a natural ability for calling in turkeys. I should have my own show like Rob Keck!(im serious!)
Old 06-02-2005, 07:07 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

I learned that a month of getting up at 4:00 AM and hunting away from home every weekend, all weekend will really test your marriage

I'M STILL IN THE DOGHOUSE!! [:'(]

BHW
Old 06-02-2005, 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: bhw

I learned that a month of getting up at 4:00 AM and hunting away from home every weekend, all weekend will really test your marriage

I'M STILL IN THE DOGHOUSE!! [:'(]

BHW

I KNOW what you mean!!!

(Confucius say, "Man in doghouse end up in CATHOUSE!)
Old 06-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

I learned that while my fiance is not a hunter,
she is a great hunting partner,
she had no problem getting me up and out at 4;00am
she wont hunt with me, or eat any of the game,
but she loves my passion for the sport, and supports my hunting and scouting.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned that me and a Primos Piggy Back stacked frame yelper make a deadly combo
Old 06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned that there are no guarantees in turkey hunting
Old 06-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned that success tastes a whole lot better than tag soup. I also learned that quality insect repellant (like thermacell) and a little seat to keep you comfortable work wonders for keeping you from fidgeting. Also, I learned never to underestimate the value of Knowing where the birds are roosted...makes the hunt a whole lot easier.

Quick Reply: What did you learn this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.