Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 what is this world coming to >

what is this world coming to

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what is this world coming to

Old 05-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default what is this world coming to

The way some people act. Ive been getting up at 4:30 in the morning and going turkey hunting for the last four weeks and then going to school at 7:30. My dad got a turkey my brother got a turkey both within the first two weeks. Ive been trying all season and the last week and a half me and my dad have been watching two birds that have been coming out into some fields. Well my dad told his "friend" about them thinking he would leave us alone. If my dad even sees a car along the road he wont even go into the woods near there because he doesnt want to mess anyone one up. But this guy he follows my dad everywere, once my dad leaves a spot this guy will be right behind him and in that spot. If he sees a car he will just drive around to the other side or somewhere he can get around you. He told my dad once "you just have to be sneeky" and no wonder every one is posting their land because of like this.
The next morning that guy was in the spot we were hunting the last two days before 4:45 in the morning. He drove up a road and into woods he didnt even have permission to hunt on. We parked along the main road and walked about 1/4 of a mile into the woods and we seen the guys decoy so we turned around and left. We didnt even go around the hill and set up on the oposite side of him like he would do. Then that evening we were looking into this one field were birds always come out into the field at the same spot every time. They didnt come out. my dad had told this guy about these birds before, and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that he had probably gone up in after them after i had gone to school even after my dad had asked him not to. If it wasnt for this guy i probably would have gotten a bird this year. Guys like this are the people that give hunters a bad reputation. And cause people to post their land and not let people hunt. Theres nothing you can even do about it unless they are breaking the law. It makes me so mad that i tried so hard and had to get up at 4:30 and then go to school and not even get a bird. I hope someday he gets caught tresspassing or shooting more than one bird. I forgot to say this but this guy will shoot a bird then get out of the woods as fast as possible. I dont know why the game commission has not caught him. You have idiots like him who shoot more than one when you dont even get one, then they go where your hunting because they have killed or spooked all the birds were they hunt. People like that shouldnt be even aloud to hunt. (Finally got to vent some anger!)
Old 05-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what is this world coming to

Sounds like this guy need a set up to meet a ndr officer the next time he intrudes on property he has NO permission to hunt.
we in Ohio have to have writen permission to be on a piece of property by the land owner or face fines & loss of hunting rights.
Your not alone in this problem but it needs to be adressed by all of us who foll the laws. good luck on your next season. gb 50
Old 05-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry you had to go through this......that guy is a dic.......whenever that happened to me, i would find another spot, even when i didnt think any turkeys were around, i got blessed a couple of hunts just by being the better person and leaving........i hope this guy does meet the warden next time he hunts there....what did your dad say to him ?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:05 PM

I've had that happen to me a few times. What you're talking about is ethics. That is something that is taught and learn. It's obvious this guy has very little if any. But it does sound like you have loads, and I would imagine you were taught this by your dad. Congrats to him and to you for being a hunter with high standards.
Don't worry about this guy he will get a lesson and when he does I'm sure it will be one he wont forget.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

glad to hear that you have better standards/ethics than that butthead....hopefully you'll never lose sight of them....you should really do anything and everything to set him up because it's scumbags like that give hunting a bad name.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree with you that people like that should not be aloud to hunt. But like you said, If he isn't breaking a law it's hard to stop him. But hunting on land you dont have permission or killing too many birds IS illegal and he needs to be turned in!
Old 05-29-2005, 07:56 PM

That would make me furious. It almost makes you want to get revenge and make his hunting hard,, but don't stoop down to his level,, let him be a rotten hunter,, he'll get whats comming maybe not today , or tomorrow,, but someday.
~kep
Old 05-29-2005, 08:44 PM

Okay ya'll, let the record show that I agree with the sentiments expressed thus far.

That being said, I'll say this: The safest, among the greatest, and the most reliable hunting partner I've ever known almost mistook me for a jake turkey after rolling him and we collectively began searching for its recovery. I've hunted in numerous states for myriad game with this fellow, he'll continue to have my utmost respect and trust...but if it can happen to him, trust me when I tell you it can happen to anyone.

You see, it's easy to say it could never happen to you, and almost to a person, those involved in hunting accidents would say the exact same thing. Angles, light, color, hot/recent game activity, fog/ mist, sleep deprivation, excitement, and many other complications factor into this equation.

I remember working a hot gobbler, sixty yards judging by the sound of his gobbles/drumming...just waiting to break into view in the thick hardwoods (flash hunt), of course my firearm was up and pointed in his direction for a slight shift and shot. Next thing you know, a hunter appears exactly where I expected the gobbler to show, but it wasn't as simple as that, I was just seeing slight movement...turkey like movement, not ten yards from my deke and his human form obstructed by the brush. No, I didn't shoot him, but I did instantly understand how accidents happen.

I've seen so many people insist they're so safety conscience only to catch them unaware of the direction of their firearm's muzzle, even slightly, whether at the cabin, truck, ATV, fence crossing, or as they tripped/stumbled. None of us is infallible and that is why these tend to be such tragic accidents. Ever had a car wreck? Even a minor one? I fancy myself among the safest of drivers...but I've had a few, it happens. Suggesting to the young among us that these accidents only happen to morons is a grave injustice, we need to constantly prepare them, even lambaste them on firearm safety and the many tricks that can lead to accidents.

That being said, I only hunt with the safest among us, and they've been told that if the unthinkable were to happen to me (dying) at their hands, that I freely understood the risks, trusted them implicitly, and although unfortunate...to never stop hunting even though a tragedy occurred. I forgive them and I would be at peace with it.

Hunting is an extremely dangerous sport, rarely are second chances extended...and accidents don't just happen to morons, although that seems to be the party-line.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

dont be afraid to call your wildlife agency on him,
whether he's trespessing or poaching,
call your local agency and let them take care of him.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gobbleblaster

The way some people act. Ive been getting up at 4:30 in the morning and going turkey hunting for the last four weeks and then going to school at 7:30. My dad got a turkey my brother got a turkey both within the first two weeks. Ive been trying all season and the last week and a half me and my dad have been watching two birds that have been coming out into some fields. Well my dad told his "friend" about them thinking he would leave us alone. If my dad even sees a car along the road he wont even go into the woods near there because he doesnt want to mess anyone one up. But this guy he follows my dad everywere, once my dad leaves a spot this guy will be right behind him and in that spot. If he sees a car he will just drive around to the other side or somewhere he can get around you. He told my dad once "you just have to be sneeky" and no wonder every one is posting their land because of @$$holes like this.
The next morning that guy was in the spot we were hunting the last two days before 4:45 in the morning. He drove up a road and into woods he didnt even have permission to hunt on. We parked along the main road and walked about 1/4 of a mile into the woods and we seen the guys decoy so we turned around and left. We didnt even go around the hill and set up on the oposite side of him like he would do. Then that evening we were looking into this one field were birds always come out into the field at the same spot every time. They didnt come out. my dad had told this guy about these birds before, and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that he had probably gone up in after them after i had gone to school even after my dad had asked him not to. If it wasnt for this guy i probably would have gotten a bird this year. Guys like this are the people that give hunters a bad reputation. And cause people to post their land and not let people hunt. Theres nothing you can even do about it unless they are breaking the law. It makes me so mad that i tried so hard and had to get up at 4:30 and then go to school and not even get a bird. I hope someday he gets caught tresspassing or shooting more than one bird. I forgot to say this but this guy will shoot a bird then get out of the woods as fast as possible. I dont know why the game commission has not caught him. You have idiots like him who shoot more than one when you dont even get one, then they go where your hunting because they have killed or spooked all the birds were they hunt. People like that shouldnt be even aloud to hunt. (Finally got to vent some anger!)
OMG the same thing goes on here, the owners of the land around here have "all of a sudden" been posting NO TRESSPASSING on their land. and then the one time my dad and i were hunting, some other hunters saw us and still walked right through our decoys and out the other side, and i was really mad, and went off after them and started sceaming at the, and my dad who was somewhere else heared me yelling and came to see why i was yelling and he screamed at the to.

CC

Quick Reply: what is this world coming to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.