Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Would you shoot it???

Old 05-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Would you shoot it???

I would definitely shoot it and have it stuffed!! It is a once in a lifetime experience.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I answered no to this same question earlier but I would honestly have to consider it with a beard like the one on tha hen. Of course it's legal to shoot a bearded hen here.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 AM

I don't care if people shoot it or not, but it probably isn't a once in a lifetime chance. I believe something like one in seven hens are beared. Biology folks give me an exact number!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Spike

I personally would never shoot a bearded hen in the spring. And would have to disagree that they are a once in a liftime bird. Myself and alot of my friends have seen many bearded hens while hunting. I don't have a problem with it except to say that I would rather see them nest and maybe shoot one during the fall season.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely pass on her in the Spring. My feeling is hens are protected for a good reason and because one happens to have a beard won't change how I feel.

However, if all bearded birds are legal (as they are here in NH) good luck to those who make the decision to tag her.

Ryan..Acccording to the New Hampshire Wildlife Harvest Report a total of 2706 (2691 gobblers and 15 bearded hens) were registered during the Spring 2004 (May 1-31) Turkey Season. That does not tell what % in the wild are bearded hens but it shows what the low number of hens that were registered...
Old 05-19-2005, 10:07 AM

FYI.

It is thought that bearded hens are normally OLD birds that have become BARREN and can no longer lay eggs. Just like an older human female.

Banded "Rios" have been confirmed to live to be over 9 years of age. The hormones that are produced in them are understood to change with age and allow the beard to grow. Beards on hens are generally very short.

If their was a biological reason to restrict the take of bearded hens, the laws would reflect that fact. If it were thought that they were sitting on nests, the take would be outlawed.

Considering we shoot far fewer hens than Toms, their are many hens that achieve ripe old age. One Tom can "service" many hens. One hen can reproduce for years or until she no longer has embryos. The take of bearded hens has no bearing on the total population or the health of the resource.

I call them .....
"The bearded lady of the circus".

As far as shooting one.. I say Drop the hammer. H E L L yes I would!

It might never reach the record books but it's as "Atypical" as a turkey can get.

Bill

BTW...I've observed many hens in the wild and never seen one with a beard. I wonder if the ones you guys have seen (one in seven?) were sighted near a hazardous waste dump.
I do not support the fall take of hens unless they become a nuisance.

Did you see the beard on that old lady in the original post? WOW!!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

BOOOOMMM!!!!!

I think any person should consider 3 things before pulling the trigger:

1) Is it Legal?
2) Is it ethical?
3) Would I feel proud about it?

If the answer is yes to all three, never hesitate pulling the trigger regardless of what someone else will think.

Slice
Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with the majority on this one....shoot it if the oppurtunity presents itself and definelt get it mounted.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:17 PM

I took this off the NWTF facts site. It must also be noted that 10 to 20 percent of hens have beards.

It isn't really all that rare, often hens beards are so thin that most do not notice them unless they get within a couple of yards of them. It also doesn't have anything to do with age. If a hen has a beard she'll have it as a jennie hen and it will grow like a gobbler until she is a boss hen. I saw a hen this year, jennie hen, with a short 3 inch beard like a jake but thin. I probably this season alone saw seven or eight bearded hens in 3 different states. I saw a hen in South Carolina with a thick beard.

Now shoot one or not? That is a personal thing. If you want to and it is legal, then don't worry about it. I don't see them as part of the spring game, but that is just personal.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Although perfectly legal here in NY...if it was during the spring season I'd definately let her go. I would much rather fill my tag on a big longbeard that a bearded hen any day. I have seen plently of bearded hens around my hunting area here in NY and know of a number of people (including 3 family members) who have shot one...they're really not that big of deal to me. I actually have passed up bearded hens twice during the spring (including the one that I've been watching this year). I'd rather let her have her poults so there will be more longbeards around in a couple of years. On the other hand, once the fall season gets here...I'd hammer her without thinking twice about it...unless there was a nice gobbler standing next to her. During the fall of 2002 I was hunting with a buddy of mine and he shot a small hen that had a really nice 8.25" beard. One things for sure...I've never seen a hen that has as thick of a beard as the one at the beginning of the post.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot it???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.