Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Losing my desire

Old 05-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Losing my desire

Got my a@@ whooped this morning by a tom. Set up in a finger of trees jutting into the field. Threw out 2 hen dekes and the bubba I borrowed. Did one set of soft tree yelps after he gobbled a few times on the roost and that was it. He and 2 hens flew down and stayed in the woods, which they've never done yet this year. I battled with the hens for awhile, threw in a couple short gobbles with my Quaker boy jake shaker, and the hens started to drag him to the dekes. About 125 yards out, he got disinterested, and turned for the field behind him, leaving his hens. Packed up my toys about 7:00, (told my boss I'd be in on time) and headed for the truck. Halfway back to the truck, about 500 yards from my set up spot, the jerk starts to gobble his head off. I said screw it, and went after him. Messed with him till about 9:15, and had to quit. Changed positions on him 4 or 5 times, just ran out of time. At one point I know he was 50-60 yards, just couldn't get a look at him. Didn't have time to circle him and try to cut him off. But I know where I'll be next time.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Losing my desire

Sounds like your getting closer