Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My First Bow Turkey

Old 05-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My First Bow Turkey

How about a story with that nice photo? Were you in a blind?

Awesome achievement!! Very impressive!!!

Congratulations!
Old 05-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment!
Old 05-17-2005, 03:41 PM

nice work on the turkey with your bow . that will be one of many
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like it has some serious meat hooks on it
Old 05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the awesome bird!! And with a bow, that is tough! Welcome to the boards as well, be sure to post and all of us will always be willing to help anyway we can!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:47 PM

Nice bird and you must be a pretty good shot. Ive shot 2 hens with my bow, 1 at 15 yds and 1 at 35 yds. lots of luck.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:40 PM

Thank you to everyone. Antler Eater, yes, I was in an Ameristep Bighouse blind. It is big enough for two people and you can still easily draw the bow. It might be bigger than some like, but my son is 7 and will soon be my hunting buddy. Even though it is big, I own 18.5 acres that has nver been logged, so I can easily place it in a good spot where I can brush it into the back ground. Well, I know I won't be able to tell the story as good as you tell yours, but I will give it a shot.

I went out about 4:30 in the morning. Sometimes they roost in the area, but not this time. [&o] At about 7:30 a hen passed through, and then I didn't see or hear anything until about 9:00 when three jakes passed through. I have seen some dandy Tom's, so I passed on the jakes. Now it is 10:00 and I still have not seen hide nor hare of a Tom, and I am getting worried I won't. In WI your season goes from Wed. till Sun., and I had been out during the afternoons, but could not get out in the morings because of work, but did not see anything except for a few hens. Well much to my suprise, at about 10:30 I hear gobble, gobble, and I am really excited. I glass the ridge about 50 yards from my blind, and sure enough, he was out there strutting all pretty like. Well, I start giving him some soft calls, and he acknowldges them, but he just continues strutting on the ridge. I remain calm and continue to work him, but he will not come into my decoys. I don't understand why, so I glass the ridge again and see three different hens close to him. I continue to work him, when it finally seems to be paying off. About one and a half hours latter, he finally starts coming my way. I continue to wait until he is about 15 yards away. I set my pin just towards the botttom of the base of his wing and let the arrow fly. I was blessed, it found it's mark penetrating both lungs while still pinning the wing so that he can't fly away. He turns and runs back toward the ridge and collapses about 45 yards away. I am so pround, and to see my son's excitement when I take the Tom home reinforces that he will be coming with me next time even though he can't yet hunt himself. Hopefully he will continue to be my hunting buddy for as long as I can hunt.

Will I will probably get some flack for this, LOL, but I shoot a Mathews Mustang, Throphy Ridge fiberoptic sight and drop rest, 100 grain NAP crossfires with Vapor carbon arrows.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story! Sounds like it was a fun time.