Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help

Old 05-14-2005, 09:58 AM
st1

Default Help

Any advice on calling a tom off of a hen. I setup on four toms this morning following one hen. Two kept following her and were close enough to shoot but I couldn't get my gun around on them. The other two broke off and after a while started easing my way. Almost in gun range and another hen showed up and led them away from me. I threw everything I had at them but they weren't paying me any attention after she showed up. I wasn't using a deke this morning because the last I used it at this place the tom hung up about 100 yds out and wouldn't come any closer. Don't know if it would've helped or not.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help

Piss off the Hen, or use a gobbler call to piss him off...sometimes the only way is an angry one.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:17 PM
c j
Typical Buck

The jake decoy might work in that situation, depending on how old/confident the tom you're working is. Or, like MD said, try to call the hen(s) and/or tick her off.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:02 AM
JW
Super Moderator

MD is right......

Now I did not have much luck with decoys...

If you can get that hen to talk to you - mimic her note for note and never let her get the last word....

She'll come to kick your butt and guess what follows?

JW
Old 05-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Try calling socially to her at first. Not threatening. If that doesn't work, try stepping it up a little and if she calls, cut her off. Everytime she calls, interupt her calls with your call. That will fire up a bird very quickly sometimes.