Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Game Camera suggestions >

Game Camera suggestions

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Game Camera suggestions

Old 12-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Spike

Default Game Camera suggestions

I've used wildgame cameras for years. It seems that now they cannot be hooked up to an external battery/solar panel. This is kind of a necessity because I'm 2 hrs away from the farm. I've used Moultrie the last 2 seasons and not so happy with them. (2 warranties a year apart). I'm leaning towards spypoint or browning, any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

So far, I've used Browning, Cabelas, Moultrie and Stealth Cams. I've never used a Spypoint so couldn't offer any experience on them. None of my cams are wireless and I only use them for pictures, not video. All of these cameras take decent pictures during the day. The Cabelas and Browning take good pictures at night. The Moultrie takes so-so pics at night and the Stealth Cams (I've tried 2 different models so far) take crappy night pictures. All of these cameras are still working after 3 years. I've never used a solar or external panel for any of these cameras. I have always used the Energizer Lithium batteries and have found they tend to last for thousands of pictures and several months in temperatures from high 20's (rare) up to 105-ish.

Are you looking for recommendations for just regular game cameras or are you considering wireless cameras because of your travel distance?

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-10-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:34 AM
Spike

In my personal opinion Spypoint's are junk, my neighbor bought the force 10 i think it's called and it was pretty bad, the detection range was horrible. And we weren't a fan of the image quality either. He bought a Browning camera and was very happy with it. I personally love the Moultrie's, I have been using the M50i with a Exodus sp 18 solar panel that i bought from Amazon for 21.00 bucks. Iv'e been running my camera for a while now without any batteries in the camera. Just running from the solar panel. But if your not a fan of the Moultrie's, the solar panel also works with the Browning's as well as we tried it with my neighbors camera and it works too.

Hope this helps.

Tracker 22
Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have run Stealth Cams for over 5 years now. I feel the battery life is pretty good. I use one set of 8 AA batteries a year in each camera. I run the cameras from March through the end of December and they take hundreds if not thousands of pics. Cal is right, the night pics aren’t the greatest but are fine for seeing what it is. Day pics are really good.
Attached Thumbnails Game Camera suggestions-c1831914-259f-42d9-bd71-d9338680c40e.jpeg  
Old 12-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

like I said many times before, until you PAY premium for top line cam's there all like pick of the litter gambles
I have wasted a lot of time and money on cams' buying many times 4-5 at a time of same models
models LOVED by many and many time,s 2-3 of them would be great and a few would be JUNK!
or worse more bad than good ones'

I have then went the other way and bought dirt cheapest I can find cam's and had 4-or of 5 work flawless, GO buy more and well, then the new one's same model and all, SUCKED!

Right now I just bought 5 wildgame cam's off a local store that had em on sale, $40 bucks a cam, back in March of 2019(also had two I bought in jan of 2018)
they came with batteries,SD card and are simple cam's, no real options, minus vid or pic and don;t even have options on how many pic's or blah blah blah
they take a pic every 15 seconds I think, I forget to be honest
the first two cams from 2018 have been outside NON stop since I got them, I get 300-400 pic's a week off teach hem MOST weeks, some times more, some times less they take DECENT pic's both day and night, get about 8+ months out of factory battery's
they worked so well again, when on sale I got more
and they too have been working flawless ever since, BUT I have also owned a few wildgame cams that SUCKED< failed in the first few weeks
so I am NOT saying the MAKER or even model again is worth getting
over the past 20+ yrs using trail cam's I have had a east 25+ stolen off me, and more that failed due to unknown things
so I rather stopped buying top of line cam's unless at places I really DON"T for see them growing legs , But will admit, I never had a top line camera fail on me in under 5 yrs and many are 15+ yrs old and still working
heck I have some 35 mm film cams that still work if I wanted that are over 20+ yrs old LOL
I personally feel quality control is a LOT stricter on the higher end cam's and that is why they last/work better, more consistently from one cam to another!
so back to again when you buy lower costing cam's
you get pick of the litter, some work great and why some folks love "X" brand or model
and others have had BAD luck with same model./maker!
add in silly things like HOW the cam's were shipped, handled in shipping and so on, electronic's IMO< don;'t like being dropped thrown or bounces, heavy vibrations in shipping
so, how they got from factory to YOU matters a LOT!
so, maybe NOT much help I gave, but something to think about!
I run a bunch of cams,and get a few thousand pic's ever week yr round! in temps from 100+ to minus 30 and lower wind chills?
Old 12-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

For the OP, did you make a decision on which camera(s)?
Old 01-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I am interested too. I spoke briefly with a guy the other day who has the spypoint and loves it. He has the free package, so it's cellular and he gets 100 pictures a month sent to his app and he doesn't have to pay any monthly fees for cellular. I am not sure if any other companies offer something similar or not???
Old 01-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have always used Stealth trail cams. However I recently bought 2 Spypoints to try. I like the idea of getting photos sent right to my cellphone. I purchased them to set up near my garden to try and capture those cows that show up every year on me. I have heard some say that they work great. I haven’t set them out yet so I am not going to say one way or the other. I can say that they are supposed to detect up to 70 feet with 48 megapixel photos. These are the Link-w- v with a 2 year warranty. I can hardly wait to try them out..