HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   What is it (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/421194-what.html)

Cowboys518 07-01-2019 11:12 AM

What is it

2 Attachment(s)
Hi my neighbors seen this cat running through thier yard , was wondering what people think it is , I say bobcat but some are saying mountain lion , what do you think ?

Oldtimr 07-01-2019 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboys518 (Post 4357584)
Hi my neighbors seen this cat running through thier yard , was wondering what people think it is , I say bobcat but some are saying mountain lion , what do you think ?

Those photos are clearly of a Bobcat, anyone who thinks it is a cougar has never seen either one. The animal has all the field ID marks of a Bobcat, first a short tail, hence the name Bobcat, a cougar has a long tail about half the length of the body, 3 feet or so, then there are the white spots behind the ears which clearly are visible in the photo. Of course there is the size difference, an adult male cougar can be be around 5 ft in length and weigh over 125 lbs while a large male Bobcat at 40 lbs is a big cat. You are correct

mrbb 07-01-2019 11:48 AM

well, I would have to ask where were the pic's taken
as it could also be lynx, but it for sure of NO cougar as said above!

Oldtimr 07-01-2019 12:33 PM

mmrb, that photo is good enough to tell it is not a lynx. Click on the pics and look at them.

Cowboys518 07-01-2019 02:15 PM

Thanks for the reply’s , are bobcats solid tan color like that ? Don’t they have spots kind of ? Never seen one in Pearson , and I didn’t take picture but neighbor did , and that picture was taken in north east part of PA, they say thier no mountain lions anymore in PA but some people I know swear thier is , and thier the ones that say this is a mountain lion lol

Oldtimr 07-01-2019 03:08 PM

Yeah there are people who are stupid enough to believe cougars are thriving in PA and they never saw one. They are nut jobs. Bobcats spots vary some on the tan and some on the underside, no two are alike and there is no pattern, some have more, some have less. Many times the black spots on the tan coat are not visible from a distance. Anyone who mistakes a bobcat for a cougar would mistake a cricket for a bat, sadly it happens all the time. I have had all kinds of things identified as cougars that just make you scratch your head and wonder if they escaped from the funny farm. I think the best was a fox with a bad case of mange. I was at the complainant's home when he yelled there it is in the yard. Believe only what you know.

Bocajnala 07-02-2019 02:39 AM

Come on OT.
​​​​​​That's clearly a bobtailed mountain lion

Probably got his tail nipped while jumping out of the game commissions truck when they released him.

:p

-Jake

Oldtimr 07-02-2019 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4357607)
Come on OT.
​​​​​​That's clearly a bobtailed mountain lion

Probably got his tail nipped while jumping out of the game commissions truck when they released him.

:p

-Jake

:biggrin::biggrin:

MaloneOutdoors 11-20-2019 12:36 PM

Thats a Bobcat

Phil from Maine 11-20-2019 03:36 PM

Clearly a bobcat. We have both bobcats and the Canadian Lynx up here and that’s not a lynx either..