Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Hanging Cameras High

Old 01-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Spike

Default Hanging Cameras High

Hello there
I am wondering if many of you here hang you trail cameras high. I have tried this before but the flash on my camera is not the brightest so therefore i like to keep the camera about 3 foot of the ground.
That way the camera does not have to light up as much space before it hits the ground if that makes any sense. The reason for me wanting to hang the camera high is because of people stealing them. But the problem like i said before is that the flash is not bright enough to light up the area. My camera is a Moultrie M50i and it has a 80' detection range and an 80' flash range and i need every inch of that as i am in an open space were i need the distance to get to were the animals are walking. So i am wondering if any of you have ever had this problem before. And if so i would love to hear off your experience or if you have any suggestions on what i might be able to do.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really need to stay in the 3-4 foot range. I break a 1 inch stick and place it behind the camera to give me a 15 degree turn forward. You may want to get a security box if you are worried about theft.

If you can't reach the animals I would consider placing the camera on the RUN/PATH where they enter or exit the field or open space you have mentioned.

Your Moultrie is a great camera, Browning is another good one in my experience. Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:26 PM
Spike

Thanks

My neighbor has a Browning camera and its great its has a little bit better of a flash but that's it.I have have no issues with my camera so far I really like it except for the flash as the range is not at the full 80 ft as stated it is more like 60 or 65 foot range which sucks.oh well ya can't have it all. Please let me know if you have the same problem with any of your guys cameras.

thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its interesting...I don't think the cameras ever really match the specifications on deer.

However - My Moultrie can catch me driving by on my ranger at 120+ feet. So the size of the object definitely effects the formula. Just my experience.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

your options are IMO< buy some better metal boxes and lock, and HOPE they don;t get stolen,(I have had them stolen in metal boxes before)
or maybe get a better camera with better IR
another disadvantage of hanging a camera HIGH is, you also have a less detection area!
but some times I do hang mine high to prevent thief(15 ft up at times or more)
but I prefer to run them lower due to better detection and better pic's I get

IMO< the cuddle back, metal boxes that ALSO protect the LOCKS that can be lag bolted and cable locked to a tree are the hardest for folks to steal
but they might not be legal to use in some places where its Illegal to bolt them to tree's
but after having about 30 cams stolen, these have been the only one's that have NOT been taken
I have had one smashed and one shot however?(all on private POSTED lands too)

lots of jerks out there that have zero respect for others property
sad, as most cams that get stolen IMO are by fellow hunters, sucks but its the poor ways of the world today!
Old 02-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Spike

Thanks guys

I will stick to hanging them lower for now and i will try to get a security device for it.

Thanks

Tracker22
Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the cheaper Browning cameras. I have short lengths of chain that I put around the tree then run the ends thru a lock that I use to lock the camera door closed. They can steal the camera but they will have to cut thru the plastic door or cut the chain or lock to get them. I don't leave them out too long and don't always put them in the same places. This is on posted private property which has trespassers from time to time.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Spike

Thanks I may try that.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used chains and HD cables and locks
about any idiot with a cheap set of bolt cutters will get your camera if they want it with that set up
not trying to be negative, just stating a fact, unless you have a metal box that protects the LOCK, there not hard for folks with bolt cutters to get
it really amazes me how so many camera makers make metal boxes , yet almost NONE make there boxed designed to protect the lock, which is what most folks just cut to steal things

draw back again to a very secure camera to a tree, is if they cannot take it, they tend to smash it where it is(or that's been my findings after 20 yrs of running camera's )
IT SUCKS, , sad that so many jerks are walking the woods and cannot leave things NOT there's alone!
same can be said about folks trespassing too, that cannot stay off private land that isn;t there's too!

also maybe why they steal and smash camera's, as they worry about getting caught trespassing, so steal/destroy camera's so they don;'t get seen on cam!

wireless cam's can help here more than any other, but all I have tired so far didn';t work as great as I had hoped, but admit I haven't tried any in the past 5 yrs, so many the newer one's are better finally?
Old 02-05-2019, 04:48 AM
Spike

Thanks mrbb
Maybe I will spend the time to make myself a metal box that can hide the lock they can't cut it then. If anybody wants to post there homeade trail cam lock boxes that would be awesome.
thanks.