HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Best trail cam for the money (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/419839-best-trail-cam-money.html)

Tracker22 12-09-2018 10:41 AM

Best trail cam for the money

Hey guys

I am looking into getting a trail cam or two and I'm wondering which cam most of you guys like or in other words what is your favorite camera that you have tried .
I am looking for a cam that is under $100 canadian money. Also need a camera that takes fairly good night time pictures. Not looking for some crazy 30 mp cam or anything like that. Overall just need a good cam for taking night pics.

Thanks

Tracker22

mrbb 12-09-2018 12:13 PM

best honest answer I can tell you is when you buy cheaper camera's there ALL HIT OR MISS
some guys buy one"X" brand and it works great next guy buys same exact camera and well, its JUNK
cheap camera's IMO< are like pick of the litter, some times you get lucky, some times you get burned
even the mid range cam's are this way
I have owned a lot fo cam's over the yrs, maybe close to a 100 or so, starting from the late 90's
I have some 300-400 dollar cam's that SUCK and I have some cheap 025 buck tasco's that work awesome>
then again I have had two 25 dollar tasco camera's that failed in the past few weeks(just over a yrs use) and have some cam's from the early 2000's that are still working??
so if you follow my point here, ALL camera's seem to have some poor QC happening, till you get to the VERY top tier camera's where they stand by and REPLACE if needed, and you DON"T see many having to be replaced either!
maybe not what you wanted or hoped for in an answer, but honest advice

if you see a local store with a name brand camera cheap, odds are it might be just as good as anything else IMO
or it might NOT!

Tracker22 12-09-2018 12:45 PM

Thank
That was very helpful.

I saw you said about a Tasco camera, are they the 8mp or 6mp camera that is sold at canadian tire and walmart.
There the ones I was thinking of possibly getting. If that's the camera your talking about, do you like it.

Thanks for the help

Tracker22

Berserker 12-09-2018 01:16 PM

Only two brands I have used are moultrie and wild game. I like moultrie cause very easy to program. Around $65-80 USD. You google this and you will find endless discussions all over the internet.

mrbb 12-09-2018 03:25 PM

the tasco cam's I have are both 6 and 8, I am actually very impressed with them for the price, there NOT GREAT cam's by any means, BUT for 25 bucks, they work extremely well, never a black pic , always what triggered cam is in pic, VERY fast wake up time, super long battery life, been getting 4-5,000 pic's at MIN off mine, my cam's are outside 24/7/365 too, some over food plots, trails, and after deer season will be on a feeder too!
again, they do not take super sharp super clear pic's(never tried the video option on them so cannot say on that) but 90% of all pic's are clear enough for me, to id all things and well, most pic's are VERY good period

BUT again, of the 5-6 of them I have two recently have not been working that great, they freeze up and STOP taking pic';s and not sure why, remove battery's and re install same one's and cam work again for a few weeks and then repeat, other 3 still working 100% as they did new
BUT again, for 25 bucks, < I will not be complaining on them failing,, they all took 30,000+ pic's before having issue's,

I know many like moultrie cam's but of the 10-12 I have owned, NON worked wel for me at all, most of MINE< had super slow wake up speeds and ate batterys(good new was they had great solar panels that solved the battery issue)
but I just never had luck with them
again, pick of the litter deal maybe, some work great and well, I happened to get the lemons of the batch LOL
also had BAD luck with Bushnell brand cam's too?
wildgame, have been pretty 50/50
cuddleback's have been more good then bad, but have had a coup,e that sucked and a few that are 7-8 yrs old and still going strong!
i really loved there older REAL flash cam's, as NOTHING IMO Beats color night time pic's
buckeye cam's have all been 100% for me but they are NOT cheap cam's

but real flashes ate battery's and well, they stood out for miles, leading crooks to steal many on me!, or just smash them on me?
so they had flaws for sure, but I still love the one's I have now, just more careful; where I use them!

Tracker22 12-09-2018 03:27 PM

Hey there

I looked into the moultri game cameras and they look like they will get the job done.
what model of Moultri do you have or what is you favorite.

thanks Tracker22

Berserker 12-09-2018 06:39 PM

Well one is in back yard and others at camp. 25 or 30? I got two different models. One model is $10 and some reviews say better. Not sure, but one I bought another this fall I spurged on the extra $10.

If you bear hunt, I always wear clean latex gloves, and spray with scent killer.

The pictures are decent but not the quality I probably get from a regular camera. But I know what is there. I have had blurry pictures.

What I might focus on, when buying new camera, is not MP. But shutter speed and how fast they wake up. I have pics missing when passing buy on 4 wheeler, or my tail lights. But you also got to decide how much you want to spend, and what it is worth. I get thousands of pics of the expensive AAs for digital cameras. Go for a season or more..

Buy 2 SD cards for each camera. I go with 8 or 16 mb, and never filled a card.

Berserker 12-10-2018 04:40 AM

Last one I bought was 25I, some reviews said the I was worth the extra $10.

When putting cameras out sometimes it can be hard to get them right. To high, to low, to far one way or other. So good to check them right away, or walk around so you have some pics to look at. I havn't, but if not getting back for a long time, a laptop would not be worse, or adapter to read SD on phone. I bought one, but it fell apart.

Some trucks can view the cards now too.

Tracker22 12-10-2018 05:23 AM

Hey there

thanks for all the info.

I'm going to keep searching around for cams.

If anyone else has some preferred cameras over others please comment about it.

thanks

Tracker22

Tracker22 12-10-2018 05:37 AM

Hey there

You said the Tasco cameras are sold for 25.00 is that us dollar or Canadian as at canadian tire they are selling one 8mp cam regular price for 89.99 canadian dollar.

recently there was a sale on there for two of those cams for 79.00 canadian dollar.

so I will not be purchasing that cam for full price when I can get two cams for cheaper price or buy a different camera.

If you bought the cam you have in Canada where did you get it for 25.00

Thanks

Tracker22