HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Cellular trail camera questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/418885-cellular-trail-camera-questions.html)

kellyguinn 08-23-2018 05:46 AM

Cellular trail camera questions

Since I live 3 hrs from the land I hunt (public land) I was thinking of getting one of these to help with scouting. The area does not get hunted much until late October which I would pull the camera by then to try and keep it from getting stolen.

My question is, Is there one that you can use an existing cell line? Since my boy moved I have a line just sitting in limbo while I am still paying on it. Also anyone have any experience with using these? Really don't want to spend over 300$ but it would save a ton of time and gas so that may change lol.

Phil from Maine 08-23-2018 07:12 PM

I am not sure if you are interested or not but at the low end this doesn’t appear to bad. You may be able to find it cheaper on Amazon or E-Bay? Most of the wireless ones comes with a high price tag.https://www.stealthcam.com/gxw-wireless-combo/

Berserker 08-23-2018 07:48 PM

I have been curious

As far as your son, I have known lots of people using cell phone for areas they do not live in. They don't care what there area code is. But that is neither he nor there, and probably more to it.

The cost will probably keep me away. Don't you have to go up once in awhile for stuff anyways? Is this just so you can watch pics live? Are you driving up there just to get the pics and turning around? Which I find hard to believe.

kellyguinn 08-24-2018 05:26 AM

Normally during the season its not that big of a deal since I am there almost every weekend but I would like to keep an eye on a few areas the month or so before to give me a head start on finding them. Also last season I had a regular trail camera out and had about 9 days where I didn't get back out there. Had a huge 9pt probably weighing 300lb on the hoof start showing up the day after I had left. It was showing up mid day for 4 days then off and on for 2 more then the forestry division put cows on the unit and thats all I received pics of after that. If I would have had the cellular camera out after the second mid day showing I would have taken vacation and been out there. I just don't want to throw 400$ on something to leave out in the woods on public land. I have found them for 250$ but I was hoping not to have to purchase a picture viewing package to go along with it since I already have the spare cell line.

rogerstv 08-29-2018 09:43 AM

From trailcampro.com

Each trail cam that sends pics to your phone will need its’ own cellular plan with the intended provider. That means, if you have 3 cellular game cameras, each one will have a separate monthly plan (or sim card). You can't add multiple cameras to a single plan.

The best cellular game camera is the Reconyx SC950C. However, it can be price prohibitive. For a good, all-around camera, the Covert Code Black and HCO Spartan series do an excellent job at an affordable price.

Need help? Call us and talk to a Trailcam Expert. Mon-Fri 9-5 CST

Call: 1-800-791-0660

Chasingame 09-25-2018 03:47 AM

Hi,

I would like to recommend the RidgeTec Lookout 4G LTE camera as an option for you. I am personally involved in its design and am selling this unit. The RidgeTec Lookout does a much better job than Covert or Spartan and the data plans provide more for less.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me. pm me and we can discuss this camera in more detail either by email or phone if you like.

Chasingame 09-26-2018 05:44 AM

Most cellular trail cameras will require their own plan. the good news is most are no contract pricing which means you can activate it for the months you want to use the camera. This puts you in control of the camera. the RidgeTec portal provides plans at $12.95/mo for 5000 photo uploads. the plans are flat rate, not tiered (except cheaper and cheaper the more you points purchase), there are no premium fees, like a fee to change your settings or request a high res photo. It is as fair as it can be designed with the camera user in mind, not a commercial security company with deep pockets.