HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Never had a trail cam, want a decent one, suggestions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/415430-never-had-trail-cam-want-decent-one-suggestions.html)

ilzho 08-31-2017 03:57 AM

Never had a trail cam, want a decent one, suggestions?

Hello:

I live up against a green-space and have coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, etc...
I have never had a trail cam before, but I would like one that will take day pics of them, but also at night (decent quality), but do not want a white flash.
The distance would be max of 50' before the heavy woods would limit visibility.
I don't want to waste my money on junk, nor do I want to spend a lot either, probably under $250.
Reading reviews with trigger speed, recovery time, red glow vs black flash, I'm pretty confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TN Lone Wolf 08-31-2017 04:21 AM

Look into Moultrie cameras. They're very good trail cameras, and not too expensive.

Ballistictip 09-01-2017 08:30 AM

I've got a Moultrie A20i, a Wildgame Innovations Mirage, and a JLB Superhunter I picked up at Ollie's for $20 on clearance. Of the 3, the cheap Superhunter takes the best night photos but during the day it snaps 1,000's of pictures mostly of nothing. The Moultrie is good and takes great daytime photos but the nighttime range isn't very good. I've only had the WGI camera for a few weeks and so far I'm very happy with it. All are IR LED flashes and have no visible flash. If you watch carefully IMO you can pick up a pretty good camera on sale for $100 or less.

mrbb 09-01-2017 02:37 PM

if you go to the Cuddyback web site they are selling demos at a reduced cost
a way to get a higher end cam at a lower end price

but honestly IMO<> when you buy cheap game cam's there ALL hit and miss
some get great one's and some get same model and have nothing but issue's
pick of the litter when buying cheaper models?
nature of the beast! sort of get what you pay for

the good news is, if you buy a CHEAP camera, odds are your going to want a second one down the road, and a cheap one will show you the things you DON"T like about it, and second one you will buy and most likely spend more to get a better cam!

50 ft away at night is asking a lot of most cam's the flash MIGHT get there but things might look really small or far away like?
just a heads up!

Chuck7 09-02-2017 06:04 AM

Stealth Cam ..anything in G series..
Sells from 69.00 to 149.00

Only changed batteries once.

EASY to use..
No flash to scare game away..has a flash but can't be seen

YTCLT 09-08-2017 06:00 PM

I have a few cuddybacks but I've been transitioning to bushnells. They are as fast as cuddyback and seem to last longer. I think they take great day and night pictures and bushnell is great about repair work or replacement if something goes wrong. I run 10 cameras at a time...

kellyguinn 09-11-2017 04:46 AM

I have been pretty impressed with the Browning line of cameras. The battery life is exceptional and the pics are a solid 7 or 8 out of 10. Pretty quick trigger speed so very seldom get a missed pic

VTBoneCollector 10-20-2017 05:49 PM

I can't recommend any one camera but I will say not to buy any Kodiak cameras. They are a wireless camera that your smartphone can connect to from 100's of feet away they say. Not true! I got the camera to connect to my phone maybe 3 or 4 times and I was standing next to the thing. False advertisement! They do take great pictures. The best of any camera I've ever owned, but if you forget the code to access it, you will be locked out and the camera becomes junk. Yes, this happened to me. And I know, I should have written it down. My bad! I tried contacting the company by email and phone for 3 months straight to no avail. I never got a response from them. I reported them the Better Business Bureau and even they got no response. Now I've got a $250 paper weight.

wildbillb 10-26-2017 07:39 AM

buy one or two of the cheapest ones you can find. i got my latest pile for ~$20 and they all shoot 1080p video or 4MB pictures - just fine for what i want.

i use them trapping and scouting, so the more out there the better. i've had them stolen and busted, too. for $20 it doesn't hurt so much, in fact i worry more about the SD card than the camera.

i can put a dozen cameras out in the field for what a high-end, fancy camera will cost, and i'm not needing ultra high-end 4k video. just show me the animals and what they are doing.

hope this helps. Brownells and Midway have awesome sales on trail cameras, but you have to be watching - they sell out FAST.

rafsob 12-05-2017 08:08 AM

I don't buy Cuddy back anymore. Their customer service sucks!!!!! I tried to get one of my cameras fixed and they wanted to sell me a new camera. They said they didn't service those models anymore. Well that was a lie, they wee still selling them two years after my call.

Go to Bushnell, greatest customer service. Had one of their cameras get totally submerged under water from the creek it was next to and they replaced the camera with they latest model!!!!! You can't get any better then that.