Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Never had a trail cam, want a decent one, suggestions? >

Never had a trail cam, want a decent one, suggestions?

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Never had a trail cam, want a decent one, suggestions?

Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Spike

I run 4 Bushnell Essential E2 cameras on the property I hunt. Excellent battery life along with good day and night photos once you get the settings dialed in.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of years ago I got two Moultries for the price of one in early January. Look for after Christmas sales and last falls hunting stock going on clearance.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

So far, I'm running 4 brands of game cams--Cabelas, Browning, Moultrie & Stealth Cam. I have the mid range models and purchased them from $100-$140 this year at either Cabelas or Amazon. A few are Black IR or No Glow models but most are the regular IR models which cost a little less.

I've got plenty of pictures of deer, bear, turkeys, coyotes, cattle and 1 bobcat and 1 fox. The only animals that have noticed the IR light are a few does that almost posed for their pictures. None of the animals seemed bothered by the IR light.

All of these cameras take great pictures in daylight and okay pictures at night. From what you described in your OP post, IMHO, any of these cams would work for you.

I only use Sandisk SD cards and Energizer Lithium batteries and haven't had any problems so far. All of the cams have taken over 10K pics per set of batteries and all have proven to be rain proof. A couple of tricks a Cabela's employee told me is that their cams' Low sensitivity setting is really medium (I'm now using the low setting) and to set the camera to take 3 pictures instead of 1.

Hopefully this helps you with making your decision.

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-05-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had great luck with Covert Cams.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
I have had great luck with Covert Cams.
My Covert Red 40 died this yr after only 5yrs.
Pretty disappointed because it was a great camera.
Just started eating through Energizer Lithiums.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I been buying the $100 Browning Strike Force cams and love them.
Good day and night pics and does video.
Energizer Lithiums last about 10-12months in them.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ilzho, if you have not already bought a trail camera you might consider two refurbished Brownings on ebay for $100. They are older models that have been discontinued but should do what you want them to do. They are covered by the Browning 1 year warranty. I bought two of them, they look like new, they are a gift so I will not try them out. Like CalHunter, I also bought SanDisk cards and Energizer Lithium batteries, Browning also recommended those. The model No. is BTC-1XR for the cameras, they are 8MP low-glow IR, pics or video with sound. I am told that they are decent cameras.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default Suggesting the right one

It seems really good that you are planning to buy a trail camera. No doubt it would really help you in your hunting expeditions. Well, the one I would recommend is Bushnell E3 trail camera as it delivers good results within its price. You can also read best trail camera reviews under 200 based on the criteria of price and results.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used many cameras over the past 20 years. Cuddeback, Stealth Cam, Wildview, Bushnell, Browning, & Primos. Trial and error have lead me to this conclusion - don't send a fortune on them. Seems the $400 cam will die just as easy (easier?) as a $60 cam. The picture quality isn't always the best with cheaper cams, but it's adequate. Most recently I have been using Browings and Primos along with my remaining Bushnells. I'll buy a $60 Browning any day. I have also been impressed with the over quality of the Primos Proof Cam - and for $40, you can't beat them.