HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   best trail cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/410543-best-trail-cameras.html)

kansaswiderack 12-07-2016 06:22 AM

best trail cameras

I am looking to replace a group of trail cameras that are getting very unreliable. In looking at the adds in gets confusing to say the least. I am not interested in a lot of high tech. Just want easy to set up and reliable. Suggestions?

Hatfield Hunter 12-07-2016 08:36 AM

My opinion---Moultrie---best for the money ! reasonable--easy to use and reliable

mrbb 12-07-2016 10:54 AM

I thin ALL cheaper made trail cam's are HIT and MISS
some work flawless some are problem plagued JUNK
Have many times bough 3-4 of same cam and had 2 work great , outstanding to be honest and the other two, garbage
when you get into higher end cam's
reconix/Buckeye cam and such, they all seem to have higher QC
so, what one guy likes another might not
me ALL my Moultrie SUCK, there super slow to wake up, miss more things then they capture
just using that as example, NOT bashing anyone liking them, I just have had BAD ONE"S I think,(6 so far)

I have way better luck with Cuddyback's even have some from the 90's that still work(were NON typical back then)
but also know a bunch of folks that have issue's with them too?

SO< pick of the litter I think on lower end cams?

vans 12-08-2016 01:38 AM

Reconyx
Like you, I didn't know what to buy, I did the research and picked up a pair, cost is higher but they seem worth it. I've taken some nice pics so far

JW 12-08-2016 05:44 AM

I have run 9 moultries 24/7 now for 6 yrs with no problems.

JW

mrbb 12-08-2016 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4284509)
I have run 9 moultries 24/7 now for 6 yrs with no problems.

JW

I have run a few moltrie's for a few yrs too,(solar panels from them are great will give them plus's here)
BUT they miss a TON of things and I proved this by placing a BETTER cam on same tree and got almost 150% more pictures!(tried this a few times with other brand cam's)
also seen many times in snow, tracks past Moltrie cam 's and NO pic of what left them>

so by this I still say there NOT that great a cam, as if there missing things, defeating the purpose of what I want a cam for, thus why I say I don't have great luck with them
also had a few have short lives and die, or stop working at random, work fine then stop then work or run away taking a thousand pic's in a row and then work OK ish again!
Just not my pick on a trail cam because of these reasons!

many things in life work this way

you DON"T know what a better ITEM is till you own one, and then first hand see the difference!
then that GOOD thing you thought you HAD< can easy turn into a MUCH lesser item for you!

BrushyPines 12-08-2016 06:36 AM

All I use are the basic Moultrie & Wildlife Innovations cameras. I've had no problems out of them. I've had some for 4 or more years and they're still working like a charm!

WV Hunter 12-09-2016 08:19 AM

I am in the market for a couple of inexpensive cams. The one's I have now are Covert and they have done quite well. Leaning towards getting a couple more of them (About $100-120)...but interested in hearing how some of the lower end models fare ($60-80).

Rob in VT 12-09-2016 01:31 PM

I have a couple of Stealth Cam G30s since 2015. They both seem to work well in both daylight and nighttime photos. They use 6 AA batteries and were $88 when I bought them on Amazon. Will probably get another Stealth or two in 2017. I read the NG45 is a pretty good no glow model as well.

EShoreMD 12-09-2016 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rob in VT (Post 4284750)
I have a couple of Stealth Cam G30s since 2015. They both seem to work well in both daylight and nighttime photos. They use 6 AA batteries and were $88 when I bought them on Amazon. Will probably get another Stealth or two in 2017. I read the NG45 is a pretty good no glow model as well.

I have been very impressed with my G30s. Actually like them better than my Browning Recon forces. Got them with a card and batteries for $100.

dbllunged 12-12-2016 11:20 AM

Go to Walmart.com and buy the Moultrie 900i. You wont find a better cheap ($89) camera for the money. It is no glow camera which can be set up for several different situations. I will say cheaper cameras don't catch everything a $500 camera will catch though.

Nomercy448 12-12-2016 09:27 PM

I have cuddleback, Moultrie, browning, Bushnell, primos, and wild game innovations cameras. Bushnell trophy cams are the only ones I recommend.

The only down side I could comment about the Bushnell cams is the potential to get thousands upon thousands of pictures during windy days. But I'll get literally hundreds more photos in a week of actual game, especially at night with Bushnells than any other brand. Most of my cams are 3-5yrs old, but I usually add one or two more each season. We put out 27 cams this season. About 1/2 of them bushnells, a third of them moultries, and the rest odds and ends.

I tend to get them for $150-200 each season. Often less on sale, or through Cabelas club deals where I get extra Cabelas credit back on them (10-20% back).

Jenks 12-20-2016 04:33 AM

Cheap??? Wal-Mart is selling a Bresser 5MP for $29.88. Is it any good? I don't know but I bought one. The reviews are mixed, it does not give moon phase or time but it is supposed to make a decent picture. It has a postage size screen on the front to view the photos on. We will see if it was worth $30 or not but it will be next year.

flyinlowe 12-21-2016 09:46 AM

I ended up ordering the Moultrie D900 from Wal Mart. Not sure if they are an older model or what but there weren't many of them on Amazon which surprised me. One I did find on there was priced at $300.00 SMH

kellyguinn 12-28-2016 10:30 AM

I have a couple Brownings and so far I like them. Like others have said though its hit or miss most of the time with trail cameras. I try to get them at end of season sales

mountlake 03-06-2017 08:52 PM

If you are looking for HD then you could try Bushnell or Plotwatcher.

vans 03-08-2017 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by vans (Post 4284500)
Reconyx
Like you, I didn't know what to buy, I did the research and picked up a pair, cost is higher but they seem worth it. I've taken some nice pics so far

Just like he said

Outdoorlivin 03-08-2017 07:52 AM

Anything by StealthCam

IdahoHunt 03-20-2017 03:02 AM

I bought two Stealth Cam P18 last year and they are probably my favorite cameras I have, not to expensive either. I'm going to be trying Stealth Cams PX14 and see how I like them since they are the cheaper cameras by Stealth Cam

TN Lone Wolf 04-10-2017 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter (Post 4284400)
My opinion---Moultrie---best for the money ! reasonable--easy to use and reliable

I second this.

CalHunter 04-10-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4285272)
I have cuddleback, Moultrie, browning, Bushnell, primos, and wild game innovations cameras. Bushnell trophy cams are the only ones I recommend.

The only down side I could comment about the Bushnell cams is the potential to get thousands upon thousands of pictures during windy days. But I'll get literally hundreds more photos in a week of actual game, especially at night with Bushnells than any other brand. Most of my cams are 3-5yrs old, but I usually add one or two more each season. We put out 27 cams this season. About 1/2 of them bushnells, a third of them moultries, and the rest odds and ends.

I tend to get them for $150-200 each season. Often less on sale, or through Cabelas club deals where I get extra Cabelas credit back on them (10-20% back).

27 is a LOT of game cams. How many properties are you covering with them and are any of them wireless?

CalHunter 04-11-2017 08:26 AM

I pinned this topic at the top of the forum for easy reference as it has a lot of good information for anybody checking out the forum. I have only used one game camera to date--Cabelas HD. So far, I've been very impressed with how it operates and the quality of pictures it takes. When I read a topic like this though, it does make me wonder if other cameras would get more game pictures instead of missing game animals, which is the whole point of a game cam. Kudos to everybody who has shared!

YTCLT 05-03-2017 02:57 PM

I'm having great success with bushnell. Easy to use, reliable and fast trigger speed. Slowly switching from cuddyback... I run about 10-12 cameras at a time. Also, good battery life on them.

bearbow49 05-31-2017 05:25 PM

Never had trail camera got one for xmas think it is a primo bulls eye

john brzoza 08-07-2017 04:32 PM

I like the Browning trail Cameras.

Wilson12051978 08-09-2017 05:53 PM

I 2nd that. Mine should be here within the next few days. Looks like a very solid camera and the folks in charge seem extremely committed on putting out a quality product. I loved my s600 https://hunthacks.com/best-trail-camera-reviews/ when it was working right but I think this cam will be my new favorite.

sooshunt 03-16-2018 01:47 PM

stealth cam stc-g42ng

I have owned cams since the days of film, I went from flash cams to red ir. The deer on state woods will not tolerate anything these days. I bought one stealth cam stc-g42ng and it worked very well, not very expensive great pics did not spook deer, I now have 4.

EShoreMD 03-17-2018 04:08 AM

I too have been running cams since the 35mm days. Ive had many different brands. I don't buy anything but Brownings anymore.

Batteries make a difference too. If you can afford Energizer lithium they will save you in the long run.

SD cards are also not all the same. High speed SD cards are meant for high-end point & shoot and DSLR cameras, not for game cameras. Game cameras don’t write as fast to the SD card as regular digital cameras because of the tradeoff with battery life (nobody expects their DSLR to run for 3-4 months on one charge or set of batteries). Therefore, you can get some weird things when you try to use one of these cards in a game camera.

As far as deer not liking cameras and getting spooked....it happens. Deer are individuals, some seem to love the camera like a model and some are running for the next county. Try to put the camera above 6ft angled down. I no longer put cameras directly over bait or stand sites. Its just too risky imo.

Good luck.

davidg 03-17-2018 05:33 AM

this is an old thread , but a good one to keep going as i'm sure cams are evolving .. i've never used them until very recently and I can understand the fun .. (i'm just reluctant to new fangled equip.) but i got a browning strike force and so far i am very impressed .. 2-3 wks now and 6AA liths are still 100% and i have a decent amount of footage . about half is 10 sec videos ..-- .4 sec response , takes a 32gb sd ..10mp $100 bucks .. the deer are all looking right at the cam .. i assume this is norm for pir at night ??you can hear it click on.. i saw in cabelas 3 stealth cam w/ a viewer for 225$ ..

Phil from Maine 08-06-2018 04:01 AM

I just purchased a new trail cam at the Kittery Trading Post. Itís a Stealth Trail Hawk that was marked down from $150 to $100. I set out back just yesterday around some apple trees and already have some photos on it. It doesnít have the viewer on it. But, I am quite pleased with the photos I have on it. I have not tried the videos with it yet. I will wait a while before trying them. However with the first day I am quite happy with the quality of the pics.

via 09-04-2018 11:43 PM

good trail camera

you can try Gosira trail camera which is quite cheap but with good quality. If have any problem with the machine, you also can apply replacement any time. recommend this!!!

Berserker 09-05-2018 06:57 AM

Great topic . So many cameras what to buy? I got 2 wild game. One seems to be going through batteries. I think they are pia to program. I got 3 moultie. Easy to program. Price is good. I am questioning shutter speed. I real noticed it where I walk and drive by a lot. I moved the camera so it shoot as you come to it, not by it.

I am curious about higher end and other brands. But moultie price and ease leans me to them. I have not had a bear touch a camera, but would suck if one did.

elkman30 09-05-2018 08:09 AM

I've got 6 out on one ranch just to learn what's there. Mostly Cabelas with an odd Stealth or Browning thrown in. They all seem to have good battery life (10K+ pics). Most are placed about 6' above the ground on trees. I haven't had any bear problems either and have bears all over the ranch. I don't know as there's much I could do to prevent a bear from getting a camera (other than scent control) since they seem to climb pretty easily.

Berserker 09-05-2018 12:00 PM

I check cameras before baiting. Wash hands, wear gloves, and spray with scent killer.

mine are 2-3 feet high.

they do make bear boxes. Come people use electrical boxes.

Phil from Maine 09-11-2018 05:13 PM

I am thinking that Stealth Cam has outdone itself with the TrailHawk game came.Mine had picked up a UPS truck around 200 feet away. I know that you will not believe it so I will try and post the picture up tomorrow sometime. I find it hard to believe myself but the photo tells no lies..

Berserker 09-11-2018 06:31 PM

200 feet? was chipmunk running by? Wow. Have you tried testing it yourself by walking up slow? I am fairly certain even if mine detected that far, which I doubt, I couldn't tell anyways. Lots of pictures where you just don't know why it went off.

Phil from Maine 09-11-2018 11:50 PM

No I have not tested it but plan on doing so. Yes it could of been a bird flew by at that same time and set the camera off. I canít really say for sure. But I will test it further because it is supposed to be 100 feet and not double that.. I am still impressed with the fact that this is on my camera at this distance though.

AR Bowhunter 10-07-2018 04:17 PM

Well I see trail camera and video trail thread I started has been claimed by somebody else. Was looking forward to joining again but after seeing this think I will just log out again. not going to enjoy this place as much as I thought I was.

Owlzer 10-31-2018 06:22 PM

Try Spromise

MichiganWhitetails74 01-31-2019 04:58 PM

Here is how things look on my end in Michigan:

Browning & Moultrie - A+ (Best all around for me)
Muddy - B+ (it's a Browning?)
Bushnell - B (great battery life) - Dark Pictures,
Primos - B (Battery terminals break , special way to install batteries so they don't break) Decent pictures, very user friendly
Stealth Cam - B- (navigating is cumbersome, fair pics, awesome battery,
WGI - C- (no longivity, eventually stop taking pics inside of 3-6 months for me) - older cams were better for me

Those are the cams I have in my possession now and how they size up