HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   a few new guys (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/409713-few-new-guys.html)

rockport 10-31-2016 08:53 PM

a few new guys

a few new guys

Champlain Islander 11-01-2016 02:28 AM

Wow amazing bucks. Good luck bagging one of those monsters.

rockport 11-01-2016 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4279128)
Wow amazing bucks. Good luck bagging one of those monsters.

I had the 2nd one at 15 yards but just didn't have enough daylight left to get the shot. I'm pretty proud of 2 and 3, they now live on a 40 acre farm I just started working with 2 years ago and there was nothing even close to them being seen on the farm before. An out of state Dr owns the property and I think he is going to be pretty tickled when he comes in here in a couple weeks.

Champlain Islander 11-01-2016 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4279137)
I had the 2nd one at 15 yards but just didn't have enough daylight left to get the shot.

I doubt my heart would take it.....LOL. I hunted that state but the other side. Saw some big ones and my partner got a nice 14 pt. Hard to figure out how those small woods can hold such monster bucks. That 3rd one is a tank.

rockport 11-01-2016 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4279138)
I doubt my heart would take it.....LOL. I hunted that state but the other side. Saw some big ones and my partner got a nice 14 pt. Hard to figure out how those small woods can hold such monster bucks. That 3rd one is a tank.

You mean the 4th one?

The key is filling the food gaps.

This particular farm needed summer and winter food. I planted clover and oats and its loaded with acorns in the fall. Summer food is very underrated.

Champlain Islander 11-01-2016 04:34 AM

Yup 4th is the tank. Lost track of the pics.

rockport 11-01-2016 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4279148)
Yup 4th is the tank. Lost track of the pics.

Yeah how crazy is it I killed this deer standing in almost the same spot? They are almost identical

BarnesX.308 11-01-2016 06:36 AM

I like the 1st one the best. He is beautiful. A typical non-typical. Best of both worlds.

I have seen are bucks improve by leaps and bounds after two things. State-wide antler restrictions and us putting in food plots. For the last 10 years, we have two fields planted. One is usually clover and the big one is usually turnips and radishes. We have also had it planted in winter peas. The deer have always gotten plenty of corn from locals' backyard feeders. :D

I think the antler restrictions did two things. It obviously added more old bucks everywhere in the state, but it also saved bucks with different genetics, allowing them to come and spread those genes on our property.

20+ years ago, most of our deer were average 8-pointers. G4 tines were very rare. Split tines and non-typical points were even more rare. Now we have all of that in every year's crop of bucks.

We also have a ton of cover. 2000 acres of overgrown clear cut as well as thick laurels, blueberries, swamps and cliff edge. Bucks always got old, but now more bucks get old and varied genetics are coming into play.

BrushyPines 11-01-2016 06:53 AM

Another season comes and once again you've got some studs, Rock! ha Maybe I should head north? Looks like you'll have a chance at #1, just got to be in the stand at the right time! :D

Champlain Islander 11-01-2016 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4279150)
Yeah how crazy is it I killed this deer standing in almost the same spot? They are almost identical

Yup that was what I went to Il for but missed.....beautiful deer Rock. I wish we had them like that here in VT. The climate, minerals in the soil, genetics and hunting pressure don't let them get that big. We used to have big ones in the old days when all you could take was 1 buck. Our state F&W is only interested in selling licenses and permits.