HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Settings question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/406591-settings-question.html)

Bocajnala 05-18-2016 08:57 PM

Settings question

4 Attachment(s)
I get allot of pictures of just nothing. If I get 100 pictures with an animal in it I'll have 300 with nothing... Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I'll be dropping my camera at a property about 3 hours away here this weekend and leaving it for at least a month... I don't wanna have to go through a couple thousand pictures of nothing. I've attached some pictures with time stamp so you can see what I mean.. This MOSTLY happens at daytime but it's happened at night a few times as well... It's a moultrie camera
-Jake

Hatfield Hunter 05-19-2016 05:14 AM

a leaf or branch moving in the wind will set off pictures !!!!

TN Lone Wolf 07-21-2016 09:03 AM

What you're describing is perfectly typical of trail cameras during the summer. Mine do the exact same thing. When the warm summer winds pick up, my cameras will take pictures every minute until the wind dies down. It's especially bad if there are leaf covered branches in the way being blown around. There's really not much you can do about it except to trim anything within the sensor's detection zone that might be blown around by wind.

BrushyPines 07-21-2016 11:20 AM

Look at the delay times after each pic taken in settings & choose the longest delay time the camera offers. This will help with the camera not taking as many pictures of tall grass, leaves and limbs blowing in the wind. Only downfall of this is the chance of missing a few pictures of deer that walked by during the delayed timer before the camera will take another pic.

rockport 07-21-2016 11:39 AM

well you have weeds sticks blowing around right in front of the camera

I set my delay the quickest possible as I'd rather get a weed than miss a deer. Just think if you have weeds setting off your camera and your camera delay set at 5 minutes every time you get one of those weed pictures your camera stops working for 5 minutes. A couple thousand weed pictures at 5 minutes per.....you do that math.

Just fix the problem and clear out the weeds/small trees in front of your camera but your still going to deal with it on windy days probably.

Put your card in the computer and open the picture folder with window and scroll through the thumbnails until something shows up

Should look like this

Topgun 3006 07-21-2016 12:00 PM

Yep; not too hard to figure the problem out on this one!

BrushyPines 07-21-2016 12:13 PM

1 minute delay seems to be the ideal time for me. I'm with Rockport, I'd hate to miss deer walk past my camera because of a weed blowing in the wind before a deer slipped by. I usually select all pics with deer to be imported onto my computer and delete the rest. That should help you out with having to scroll through pointless pictures.

Cannmann10 08-26-2016 11:25 AM

sneaky bull

So I have 7 Trail cams, and this big SOB bull elk comes through my camera a few times a year about a month apart each time this has been going on for 3 years. this year I decided to throw a camera in every surrounding cutblock with mineral and salt to track down which direction he is moving. no luck any tips on how to track this fellas movement. I'm in British Columbia in the Kootenays so its very thick no spotting across valleys here. and to much elk movement to follow tracks and trails