HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Do deer notice Cameras? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/405410-do-deer-notice-cameras.html)

Rob in VT 03-18-2016 01:54 PM

Do deer notice Cameras?

Interesting video. I will start hanging mine a little higher now.

Oldtimr 03-18-2016 02:15 PM

Probably heard the camera taking pictures and looked toward the noise.

Rob in VT 03-18-2016 03:25 PM

They had cameras set up with no batteries in them and shut off. Deer were still jumpy when they noticed it. They had a second camera up high overlooking the dead camera. Very interesting behavior.

mrbb 03-18-2016 03:47 PM

running trail cam's since the late 90's, answer is YES< deer notice camera's
MOST camera's however have some sort of sound they make when they take a pic' and that is normally why you get pic's of deer looking at them
second thing is MOST guys that run cam's do NOTHING to descent them, so deer pick up the smell of the plastic, or even battery's
as chemicals are used making them
NEXT is when folks check cam's , the scent from your hands transfers to the camera
all the more so for those that put bait out at time of checking camera's

this is a bigger issue with bears, a bear has a better nose than a deer
handle corn or??
and then your cam, and a bear will find your camera and possible break it once they find it as there curious critters, many will actually try to taste it to see if it something they can eat, after that scent gets on them from bait off your hands

Learned this the hard way over the early yrs, when I would get pictures of a bear, then its nose then its teeth and then inside of its mouth, as it crunched up a camera on me

after I stopped handling cam's without wearing gloves and also, storing them in baking soda( whole cam in a baggie with it, and spraying them down with a scent killer_)
been many many yrs since I lost a cam to a bear!(bear boxes do help too, but use them more for theft control than bear worries)
but simple answer is YES< deer notice camera's

Topgun 3006 03-18-2016 07:42 PM

Excellent tips mrbb!

Bocajnala 03-25-2016 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one does
-Jake

rockport 03-27-2016 09:14 AM

I have deer lick my cameras quite a bit.

bronko22000 03-28-2016 03:11 PM

LOL MRBB. I also had pics of a bear's tonsils on my cams!

I always spray down my cam after installing it or changing out SD cards/batteries.
I've had deer look at them but I'm positive they heard them going off.
I think though the next time out I am going to take a section of my stick ladder (3') and put my cam higher and angle it down. The higher camera angle will give you a better view of the rack too I think.

Tufrthnails 03-28-2016 05:04 PM

I haven't hung a camera under 9ft in two years and only have two pics of deer looking at the camera and instead of getting one pic of a nice buck then nothing in a season of him I am seeing the same bigger bucks more and more.

Hatfield Hunter 03-29-2016 05:11 AM

O.K. I cant reach ten feet up cant climb either had back surgery ?????