HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Trail Cam Hidden/High Enough? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/386137-trail-cam-hidden-high-enough.html)

Millhouse 10-18-2013 02:48 AM

Trail Cam Hidden/High Enough?

I could use a bit of input in regards to the location/height of a trail cam I just located. This being my first trail cam experience...and it being on public land makes me a bit cautious in regards to theft.

Not that it matters, but the camera is a Browning Ranger Ops BTC-1 locked up with a python cable lock. I mounted it on a moderately difficult to climb tree overlooking an open field that I am getting some time lapse photo on. This is a spot that a hunter typically wouldn't see while walking to their stand, but rather on their way back. I'm hoping it's high enough to be somewhat out a thief's field of view, as most will likely be looking for game lower to the ground.

Any input as to the location/concealment/height would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

hunter440 10-18-2013 09:20 AM

Hey, u must pack leaves and twigs around it!!!! Put some on top and bottom and around the strap!

WIbuckchaser 10-18-2013 05:24 PM

Pretty good chance most people won't spot that unless they are scoping out the tree to put a stand in it. It wouldn't hurt to put some limbs around it but I think I would have left it like you did.

Millhouse 10-19-2013 09:50 AM

Thanks for the help all!

After going back to check on the camera today...I think it's OK as-is. When approaching the tree...I thought someone had stole it...I couldn't see the darn thing! After getting the SD card back home I realized that the time and date had reset. I'm not sure if it resets every time you turn the camera off or not...but it was so far off that it was taking time lapse pics almost entirely at night..with no IR flash of course (I'm assuming the flash activates based off of time rather than some type of photoelectric sensor). With that said, it picked up a some passing hunters and only had around 3 false triggers due to leaves blowing. This over 3 days isn't too bad. Anyways, see attached for a pic.

Hunters...

A False Trigger Pic...notice the time of day. (The low hanging branch has since accidentally fallen off).

WIbuckchaser 10-24-2013 07:34 PM

Looks like it takes pretty good pics.

Millhouse 10-25-2013 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by WIbuckchaser (Post 4092001)
Looks like it takes pretty good pics.

Pics are good...night-time flashes stink...but only because of the leaves in the foreground reflecting back at the camera.

Regardless, I picked up no deer on this camera at all. I'm not sure if it's not picking them up at night due to the location or what, but I'm moving on to a different location.

Valentine 10-25-2013 03:59 AM

Unfortunately

the good thieves don't give away their trade secrets.

And with the price of trail cams and tree stands, they're into big money. And the newbies they're working against is scary.

These thieves not only steal stuff, they find the best advertised tree sites.

pnut 10-27-2013 12:56 PM

So you have to climb the tree or get the ladder out to swap cards?
Screw that - mine are waste high in lock boxes but I know everyone that would come onto our land.

Hunt4Life23 10-27-2013 04:42 PM

i do the same thing with my setups on public land or near the property lines, i shimmy up trees or climb hard to climb ones that i know the average person cant get up. Its worth the extra work to me to not get my cameras stolen

TSR6 10-27-2013 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by pnut (Post 4092528)
So you have to climb the tree or get the ladder out to swap cards?
Screw that - mine are waste high in lock boxes but I know everyone that would come onto our land.

Ditto. I only use lock boxes in case some stranger walks into the property - those boxes and a Masterlock Python lock just to be safe. I know everyone who should walk by my cameras...