HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   camera set up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/381658-camera-set-up.html)

bandgod 05-19-2013 06:22 AM

camera set up

I'm looking for some ways to attract deer to "pose" for my cameras this summer. It is illegal to put out mineral/salt blocks/corn/feed for the deer in my area so I need to be a bit creative. Doe anyone have a recommendation on a scent or something that could work as a lure? A couple of years ago we had a scrape that stayed open throughout the summer, but I don't know what to use for scent for that kind of set up. I have a shot plot that I put a camera on, but it doesn't really attract the deer like mineral. Last year I set a camera up on some trails and caught a few nice bucks that way. I've also set up on a water hole and that worked well. I'm just hoping to find an alternative for my cameras in the woods that I set up on trails to try and concentrate the bucks in front of the camera.

GTOHunter 05-19-2013 02:27 PM

Man....that's a tough one to try and figure out,at least we can put out salt/minerals and misc grain when we're not Hunting here in Missouri!

Maybe put out a mixture of different plants in Your Food Plots to draw the Deer in better,Fruit Trees would be a good choice and in the Fall I've heard that the Orbital Gland Scent really draws in a lot more Bucks but that's going to put You closer to late Sept,Oct and Nov.!

I saw a new Product out by Tinks in a spray bottle,it was some kind of scented flavoring You spray on vegetation to draw Deer in but You'd have to check it out to make sure it wasn't considered "Bait" also?

uwbadgers 05-19-2013 03:57 PM

Mock scrapes in early August using Code Blue had worked for me in the past. Heavy buck activity checking it out.

bandgod 05-19-2013 05:11 PM

I've had success in the fall with mock scrapes and even real scrapes, but I'd like to be able to get pictures with the bucks in velvet so I have a good idea what's out there before season even starts. I'll probably put a camera on our larger food plot but it'll be a crapshoot as to where to put the camera. The deer come into this plot from a ton of different areas (it's a long strip about 200 yards by 30 yards). I have apple trees planted in the middle of the plot but they are young so no fruit on them this year. I may have to experiment and let everyone know if I find something that works. I'll be baiting bear this year, so that'll use up a couple of my cameras anyway.

BigDaddy12t 05-19-2013 05:44 PM

That sucks man! I would say a Mock Scrape is your best bet then..

pnut 06-04-2013 03:45 AM

I would still put a trace mineral block out but just don't hunt over it.
Silly laws in my opinion.

prestoncohunter 06-05-2013 06:00 AM

Might give some vanilla extract a try, just place some on surrounding plants. Though some places even consider scents "baiting".

GTOHunter 06-05-2013 03:14 PM

Finally found it.......Tinks "Salad Dressing" spray!

As mentioned check Your local and State Game Laws so You don't get into any trouble?To me if You were to use it in the Off-Season it shouldn't hurt anything but it's better to be safe than sorry! ;)Y

iayotehunter 06-05-2013 03:27 PM

Around velvet shedding put a willow in an open area in front of your camera deer will visit the willow and scrape their antlers on it

TheHardWoods913 06-06-2013 06:47 AM

Tinks Power Scrape has worked well for me