Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
what is the recommend height for a trail camera? >

what is the recommend height for a trail camera?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

what is the recommend height for a trail camera?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Spike

Post what is the recommend height for a trail camera?

When I go buy 3 trail camera's because I am new to them what is the perfect height to set them at to get great imagies and what brand do you prefer I buy I don't want one that will work for a few months and then crap out on me.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I normally hang mine about waist high. But depending on the time of year, I may hang them closer to the ground for getting turkey pics, or sometimes I might hng them real high in the tree, to keep them out of sight of strangers. I would go with the Covert line of cams. Best cam for the money.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually set my cameras at 3 to 4 feet depending on what comes around. Smaller deer or bear, my camera will be closer to three feet. Setting the camera higher reduces the field of view and is harder for animals to detect.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

coverts are the way to go!!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

I hang mine around 3 feet. I have one moultrie and just got a wild game innovations. Haven't used the wild game one yet though but have had good luck with the moultrie.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Around waist high and I personally like the moultries. I have had wild game and Primos and hands down moultrie is better!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

I post mine at about 4 feet if its level, I would buy a covert red 40 on sale right now for $149. I agree with the above post, best cam out there for the money. I have been really impressed by mine, I also hear the mp6 is a great cam for a little less money. Scoot
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I decided to try something new this year and place a few cameras around 6 to 7 feet in the air. I watched some research done on cameras at eye level for a deer and was amazed that deer sometimes do spook when they see the IRs go off. I bought three of the Bushnell HD 8MP cameras this year and with the quicker trigger spead than some of the older bushells I was confident I wouldn't have an issue getting pictures even at higher in the air. I'm quite happy with the results, I still have 1000's of pictures of deer and none looking at the camera which is very good to see. Plus, at the elevated level trespassers won't be able to see them as easy. I'm not saying that 3 to 4 feet is not a good height to keep them at, heck, I still keep about 5 or so at that level but was pleasantly surprised to see that 6 to 7 feet in the air works just as well.

Also, if your looking for a camera, I highly rec'd Bushnell HD Trophy Cam. You can pick them up for $150 now and are really great cameras. I have 9 right now and very impressed. I hear reconyx are great but the price tag is a little hard to swallow!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Spike

I have 4 Moultries and have never had a problem with them and they take great pictures. I did have some of the older Bushnell's and did like them at all, they took bad pictures and the battery life was attrocius. Next one i purchase I prolly will try out the covert.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hang mine around 3-4ft high in lock boxes.
I prefer Reconyx but they aren't cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.