Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trailcam?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Spike

Default Trailcam?

What are the best trail cams for under $100?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Robs71100
What are the best trail cams for under $100?
Just my advice: save up and add another $50 to $100 more to the $100 you quote and you will end up with a decent camera. Cheap quality cameras have cheap parts. Some will work, while others will not. Cheaper cameras can: 1)be very hard on batteries, 2)poor quality pictures due to redness, streaks or blur. Some pictures are very grainy.
A couple of good brands are Moultrie and Bushnell. Moultrie offers a one year manufacture warranty and good customer service. If set to video, Moultrie cameras take a picture first, then the video. What one gets in the picture is often missed in the video due to a delay. Field of view in the video is narrower than in the picture. Moultrie said this is how it down loads. Night video is limited to 10 seconds. Lengthening this time would be harder on batteries as per Moultrie.
Bushnell offers a two year manufacture and good customer service. They have an option of longer night video. Also when set to video, this is what they take, no picture before it like the Moultries.
Look for a camera that the night video setting can be set for 10 second delay or less. The ability to use AA batteries is a plus in cold weather because one can use Lithium Ultimate which are a high voltage battery. These test 1.79 to 1.83 volt using a digital meter. This is like putting a higher cranking amp (larger) battery in a vehicle. The vehicle would turn over longer when starting in cold weather.
Lots of cameras on EBay, but a word of caution: if the seller is not authorized by the manufacture, there is no warranty.
Good luck in your choice.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Another cam to look at is the covert mp6. If you look hard enought the cam can be found around $100, it gets great reviews and does everything well. From what I am hearing covert cams are awesome. I am waiting on the covert red 40 which I found on sale for $150. Scoot
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

I've had great luck with my 2 Wildgame Innovations Red 6's.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Spike

Is a primos a good camera?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Spike

my wildgame innovation cam sucks.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by littlearrow
Just my advice: save up and add another $50 to $100 more to the $100 you quote and you will end up with a decent camera. Cheap quality cameras have cheap parts. Some will work, while others will not. Cheaper cameras can: 1)be very hard on batteries, 2)poor quality pictures due to redness, streaks or blur. Some pictures are very grainy.
A couple of good brands are Moultrie and Bushnell. Moultrie offers a one year manufacture warranty and good customer service. If set to video, Moultrie cameras take a picture first, then the video. What one gets in the picture is often missed in the video due to a delay. Field of view in the video is narrower than in the picture. Moultrie said this is how it down loads. Night video is limited to 10 seconds. Lengthening this time would be harder on batteries as per Moultrie.
Bushnell offers a two year manufacture and good customer service. They have an option of longer night video. Also when set to video, this is what they take, no picture before it like the Moultries.
Look for a camera that the night video setting can be set for 10 second delay or less. The ability to use AA batteries is a plus in cold weather because one can use Lithium Ultimate which are a high voltage battery. These test 1.79 to 1.83 volt using a digital meter. This is like putting a higher cranking amp (larger) battery in a vehicle. The vehicle would turn over longer when starting in cold weather.
Lots of cameras on EBay, but a word of caution: if the seller is not authorized by the manufacture, there is no warranty.
Good luck in your choice.

^^^^^^^^
All of this!

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly what littlearrow said.
Don't expect good battery life on cheap cameras.
Do the math if you constantly spending money on batteries, just put all that money up front on a better camera that doesn't eat through batteries.
My Reconyx uses one set of batteries per yr (about 22,000) pics.