Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Reconyx trail cams >

Reconyx trail cams

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Reconyx trail cams

Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Reconyx trail cams

From EVERYTHING that I've seen and read, the Reconyx looks to be, hands down, the best trail cam out there! BUT, for almost $500 wouldn't you think they would come with some sort of a locking system to keep them fairly safe from theft? From what I read, they only have a simple bungy cord to attach them to the tree.

Despite the fact that I set my cams on Public land, if they had a secure locking system I'd actually give a Reconyx a try. They take beautiful pics!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Reconyx HC500.
I got it from Cabelas on sale for $449 (used a 20% coupon and put it on my Cabelas card 6months no interest).

I bought a lock box from Custom1Enterprise for it for about $50.
http://custom1enterprises.com/custom...prises_012.htm
Actually I bought all my lock boxes from them and love them all.
If you can find a deal similar to mine, they are worth every penny.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Reconyx and I can tell you they are worth it. They do have a security feature but it wouldn't keep it from being stolen, they just wouldn't be able to use it if they took it. Like pnut said, get a security box. It doesn't make them theft-proof but it definately would make stealing one much more difficult. As far as pic quality, it is good but the great thing about the Reconyx is the coverage area of the sensor coupled with it's trigger speed assures you will never miss anything.

Blessings........Pastorjim
Old 10-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have two HC600's and one RC60 (the older model). Obviously I love them and think they are well worth the extra $$'s. Having gone through 4 other models only to have missed photos, I wish I would have had one of my older trail cams to set up side by side with a Reconyx to see how many missed photos there might be.

On my first Reconyx (the RC60), I bought one of the Reconyx security boxes and although it might be better than nothing at all, it is really a pretty cheesy security box in my opinion and difficult to slide open as well. When I bought my first HC600 Reconyx, I shopped for a different brand of security box and found a guy on Ebay that makes them. They are MUCH better than the Reconyx security boxes. Here is his Ebay site for a listing he has right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trail-Camera...item20cbd8d425 His Seller name is "custom1enterprises". I have looked at his other Ebay items for sale and it looks like he also makes security boxes for other trail cameras as well. I only have experience with the Reconyx compatible boxes though so I can't speak for the other boxes. I can say that the box is an exact fit and is set up for 2 Python cables and a door lock. They are a much heavier steel construction with a powder coating that is still like new after 3 years I think it is. He also sells the locks on Ebay all keyed the same, but I found them on the internet a little cheaper and all keyed the same as well. Just an FYI.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Spike

We use Reconyx hyperfire hc500 6 total. We bought 3 last year and 3 this year. I think Im going to plan on buying 3 a year lol Switched from Cuddeback. Hands down best cameras Ive ever used. Super fast trigger times and great battery life!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd really LOVE to buy one, it's just that I hunt State land and that's a hell of a chance to take with an expensive cam. I've had 2 cams on this land for about 8 years with no theft or vandelism, but that's prolly because they were Cuddebacks.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use them myself an would not want to put one on public property. I do not think you can stop one from being stolen. You just slow them down.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Will it fit in one of those steal lock boxes for trail cameras?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Will it fit in one of those steal lock boxes for trail cameras?
Every lock box is specific to a make and model of camera.
I've posted links to the Reconyx lock boxes from custom1enterprise.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default Reconyx Cameras

Originally Posted by Jackson Bowner
I have two HC600's and one RC60 (the older model). Obviously I love them and think they are well worth the extra $$'s. Having gone through 4 other models only to have missed photos, I wish I would have had one of my older trail cams to set up side by side with a Reconyx to see how many missed photos there might be.

On my first Reconyx (the RC60), I bought one of the Reconyx security boxes and although it might be better than nothing at all, it is really a pretty cheesy security box in my opinion and difficult to slide open as well. When I bought my first HC600 Reconyx, I shopped for a different brand of security box and found a guy on Ebay that makes them. They are MUCH better than the Reconyx security boxes. Here is his Ebay site for a listing he has right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trail-Camera...item20cbd8d425 His Seller name is "custom1enterprises". I have looked at his other Ebay items for sale and it looks like he also makes security boxes for other trail cameras as well. I only have experience with the Reconyx compatible boxes though so I can't speak for the other boxes. I can say that the box is an exact fit and is set up for 2 Python cables and a door lock. They are a much heavier steel construction with a powder coating that is still like new after 3 years I think it is. He also sells the locks on Ebay all keyed the same, but I found them on the internet a little cheaper and all keyed the same as well. Just an FYI.
Which other cameras have you tried? For this kind of money I would be willing to custom make heavy duty steel boxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.