Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Scoutguard sg550

Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Spike

Default Scoutguard sg550

So I bought this cam a little over two years ago and have loved it... Until about two weeks ago, it just quit taking pics all together, I replaced the battery's and it still isnt taking pics when testing it. When I tried to plug the remote in and mess with it, the remote won't even turn on... The camera it's self does the red light pulsing when you turn it on like its suppose to setting up but that's about it... Anybody have any thiughts on what the deal is. I'd really appreciate any help.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I've had mine for almost 4 years now. first two were awesome. last year I had to send it in for problems not getting any night photos. It came back fixed and fine. This year, same exact problem as you are having. It took two pictures this summer and nothing since. I'm not sure if I should/will send it in again.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Spike

I didn't know if I could still send it back to get worked on since it only has a one year warranty.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you checked the voltage on all of your new batteries.
I had that same problem over the weekend with my SG550 not turning on and the new batteries were below 1.2v - they were alkalines I had was going to use till weather got colder..
All I run in it in winter is Energizer Lithiums for the cold weather so I just put them in it and it fired right up.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Spike

it will turn on, just not really "firing on all cylinders" you could say. How do you check the volts? Some sort of volt meter I assume, but where can you get one? Im gonna try and put brand new ones in now and see how it works. Hopefully it fixes it. I hate paying top dollar for something and it not working as long as it should. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My SG550 is 6yrs old and still runs like a champ as long as you feed it good batteries.

To check voltage you need a meter.
I have a digital that cost about $75 but you can get a cheaper model at like radio shack or even Lowes. Digital is more precise in telling you exactly how many volts the AA is showing.
They should be more than 1.5 new. Engergizer Lthiums are almost 1.7v when new.
Once a battery gets to around 1.2v the cam will start to act weird until they all are that low and then probably not power on.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Spike

Well I put some newer batteries in it, and formated a 2gb card and it started working and took a couple pics. Do you remember how big of a sd card will work in this camera? I was trying to use a 4gb out of my primos cam that I thought could of been a contributing factor.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 4gb Kingston SD cards - not SDHC.
I've had zero problems with them and own a few of them for just this card.
I have a set of cards per camera type of mine and I never mismatch as their formats vary.
Mark the cards and only use them in that one camera.
I think I have about 15 cards in my pack for my 5 cams and they are all marked for which cam they're for.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Spike

What does SDHC mean different? Ive used some of those in my primos, but the 4gb sdhc one was the one in my scoutguard when it went haywire.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

SDHC: is an SD card with (HC) high capacity. This may have been the cause or 4GB may be too large for that camera. Check your manual or check their website for the specifications. I have not used that camera brand. The older cameras do not recognize these cards. As pnut suggests, a digital meter is a very valuable tool which can be used for lots of other electrical work as well as checking camera battery voltages. The sweep meter (one with the hand) is not accurate enough for smaller voltages. When purchasing new batteries, check the voltage because there is always a possiblity of a faulty one or one reading a low voltage.
As pnut suggests marking SD cards for each camera. I swap my cards out and format each one in the computer after viewing and saving what pictures or videos I wish to keep. My cards are used at random in my cameras, making sure I do not install a larger capacity card in a camera that does not recognize it. In my 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail camera, it has the ability to format the card in that camera. Whatever card I install in that camera is again formatted in that camera. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.