HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Coyote or wolf? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/373264-coyote-wolf.html)

Phil from Maine 09-30-2012 04:45 PM

Coyote or wolf?

Ok guys, I know some have wolves in their state. We are told we do not.. Anyways in this trail cam video I have an animal I would like your opinion on. It is only on it for 4 seconds out of a 30 second video. The branch behind it had a doe walk by it 2 hours earlier. She was equal to the second branch from the bottom.. So let me know what you think... Thank You...

kyslayer 09-30-2012 06:15 PM

really does look like a wolf in my opinion... look how tall it is and how big the head is

Phil from Maine 10-01-2012 12:21 AM

That is what I was thinking along with the fact our biologists have a limited a mount of dollars. So I think that it would surely be a coyote in their eyes.. We do not need any wolves here so fair game??

Champlain Islander 10-01-2012 02:46 AM

Good percentage of our coyotes have wolf DNA in them resulting in big coyotes. I saw a 70 pound male one day hanging up dead at a camp near mine.

Vermont_hunter 10-01-2012 06:46 AM

looks alot like a wolf to me, the head is long and broad compared to a yote, plus hes much bigger the the "average" yote

Phil from Maine 10-01-2012 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 3985117)
Good percentage of our coyotes have wolf DNA in them resulting in big coyotes. I saw a 70 pound male one day hanging up dead at a camp near mine.

While I agree with you C.I., I have a hard time understanding why we have a few that gets shot or trapped that are 80% wolf. For being here as long as they have been I have a hard time reconiseing that. Also across the river from here ( in New Brunswick ) one was caught last winter that was 100% wolf.

One was shot in this state around 7 or 8 years ago and a year or 2 later one was caught by a trapper. The one shot was in Western Maine and that guy got a bum wrap. The DNA was sent to 3 different states in order for them to say it was a wolf. The other was caught by accident by a trapper around 75 miles from here. Then the Feds wanted them released here. So whatever happened it came back that the wolves wouldn't survive here because they are breeding with coyotes?? That last line sounds sort of fishy but at least they will not be letting them go?

So it makes one wonder if nothing else. It also makes me wonder what I have on video.

Hunt4Life23 10-01-2012 04:31 PM

That just screams wolf in my opinion. No matter how many times i replay it i say wolf

OhioNovice 10-07-2012 12:38 PM

Id say Wolf, look at how wide his shoulders and head are. Coyotes are a little more slender and not as bulky/muscular.

I dont see wolves breeding with coyotes, unless perhaps a male coyote gets a young wolf female. I had a professor that did his doctorate studies in Yellowstone on wolves and say they are mortal enemies. Wolves will kill coyotes for no reason and leave there body to rot.

PREDATE 10-07-2012 09:02 PM

I can't say for sure, but that'd be a huge coyote. Would you be able to put some table scraps out and try to get better proof?

golfpro261 10-09-2012 06:05 PM

Thats not a type of coyote that I have seen before. Got plenty of them here in wisconsin too.

T9e_n_SC 10-12-2012 04:55 AM

Our DNR likes to call every animal we aren't supposed to have here a coyote also. That would be a huge coyote. There are coyote/wolf hybrids though.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imals-science/

snapper1982 10-12-2012 07:08 AM

you all do not understand. you do not want them to admitt there are wolves or cougars in your areas. if they did. then they would have to be protected. then if that happened it would give the anti's a foot in for law suits and you may very well end up not allowed to hunt/trap in those areas.

halfbakedi420 10-12-2012 07:28 AM

i dunno..i say wolf too, as bad as i wanted to say yote at first, watching it in the video 12 times, looks like a wolf.

TDC 10-12-2012 08:29 AM

I'd say coyote based on the small feet.

Phil from Maine 10-12-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by T9e_n_SC (Post 3989840)
Our DNR likes to call every animal we aren't supposed to have here a coyote also. That would be a huge coyote. There are coyote/wolf hybrids though.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imals-science/

Yes we have had those hybrids here for a long time now. They are a real pain for our deer herd and in some cases they have taken young moose down in the snow as well. Also welcome to the forums..

I can't say for sure, but that'd be a huge coyote. Would you be able to put some table scraps out and try to get better proof?
I would not mind trying it but not before our rifle season on deer is over with. The ridge this showed up on is where a big buck scrapes during the rut up here. I have been trying to get just to see this buck all of last hunting season. He will come up on the ridge to meet the ladys and then right back down into the swamp. Most of the way he is running down into the swamp for what looks like no real reason to. But if I see that thing around when setting in my tree stand I might be able to let you know what it was.. Big feet = wolf or a coyote that run into some brush pile, small feet = coyote.. The place is all moss so I can not see anytracks other than where the deer have been running.

Thanks everyone!! I have been leaning towards the wolf thing as well. But, the good part is we do not have them..