Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Is this a bobcat or cougar? >

Is this a bobcat or cougar?

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Is this a bobcat or cougar?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Spike

yeah looks cougarish like
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

There IS no question, that's a young cougar. Not even remotely like a bobcat other than a feline family member! "Showing up from the Dakotas" huh? That's the excuse they always say and it's no piece from your neck of the woods too the Dakotas. What was it, lastyear or 2010 when the cougar in Connecticut was killed and it had a tag or collar or transmitter anyway and was initially tagged/released in the Dakotas. They DO cover some ground. They are expanding in so many areas because of the explosion of the deer populations!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WIbuckchaser
Yes just in the past couple years they have been showing up here and there. Funny thing is the dnr are playing dumb. I think they are planting these things, but they are saying they are coming from the Dakotas. Just one more predator we don't need. As if the wolves, bear and coyotes are not enough. Before you know it there will be a cougar hunt in wisconsin too.
the dnr did the same thing a couple years ago in Iowa when they started turning cougars lose.. The plan was to turn them lose and get them protected. It backfired big time and now they are continuous open season in IA just like a coyote.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

They can't count deer, bear and wolves worth a hoot so you know they can't count the cougars.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Spike

I'd say that it is a Mt. Lion/Cougar. A bobcats ears come to more of a point than shown in the picture. Also a bobcats nose is shorter than shown in the picture. I'd say your looking at a cougar.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cougar

This is without question a Cougar. If they make it to my area they can join the wolves that are not here.
[/quote]
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

That is a young cougar. I have found out that it isnt the DNR bringing them in at all. It's the USFW! Buddy watched a USFW truck let one go. I guess we are getting problem cougars now days
Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Spike

Not a bobcat for sure.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by basserman
That is a young cougar. I have found out that it isnt the DNR bringing them in at all. It's the USFW! Buddy watched a USFW truck let one go. I guess we are getting problem cougars now days
Go figure, from one moron to the next (DNR-USFW). Things are going to heck in a hand basket. The insurance companies sure love to see it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt a cougar.