HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   ants setting my camera off (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/361926-ants-setting-my-camera-off.html)

coyote61hunter 04-08-2012 09:54 AM

ants setting my camera off

how can i stop ants from crawling on the motion sensor of my camera and setting this off i know its ants because when i opened my camera up they fell out and ive had hundreds of photos taken but nuthing was there to set it off so ive pin pointed ants to be the problem

PastorJim08 04-08-2012 12:18 PM

I've had the same problem with ants, especially at this time of year. I can't say they ever set off the camera though. Are you sure it's not the wind blowing the foilage or anything?

Blessings.......Pastorjim

littlearrow 04-08-2012 12:27 PM

Here are a few suggestions: 1)check the tree the camera is mounted on and around the base to see if the ants have a home there. 2)cayenne pepper is an ant deterent, but not sure if it gives off an odour or scent. 3)Is it possible to move the camera to another tree but still use the selected area?
You mention ants inside the camera when you open it. If it has the external port and you are not using it, cover it with masking tape, frog tape (painters tape) or duck tape. I have the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail camera that has a rubber plug in the bottom for the 12 volt external port. The plug does not fit tight and is easily removed. I put tape inside the camera over the hole. Check the rubber seal of the camera for damage.
Good luck.

coyote61hunter 04-08-2012 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by littlearrow (Post 3928081)
Here are a few suggestions: 1)check the tree the camera is mounted on and around the base to see if the ants have a home there. 2)cayenne pepper is an ant deterent, but not sure if it gives off an odour or scent. 3)Is it possible to move the camera to another tree but still use the selected area?
You mention ants inside the camera when you open it. If it has the external port and you are not using it, cover it with masking tape, frog tape (painters tape) or duck tape. I have the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail camera that has a rubber plug in the bottom for the 12 volt external port. The plug does not fit tight and is easily removed. I put tape inside the camera over the hole. Check the rubber seal of the camera for damage.
Good luck.

ill try the tape method but the battery housing area is sealed tight but the ants still keep getting in there there not big ants there the small "piss ants"

JW 04-08-2012 01:22 PM

Yote - use a light dusting of Sevin dust inside the box of the camera. Used carefully it won't harm a thing. It don't take a whole bunch.

I had ants in my trail cams too. Mine are protected by metal bear boxes so I used Sevin dust inside the box and that took care of my problem. If you do not have a metal protetion just the trail cam box - then - I did treat the inside of a Moultrie plastic box last yr and the dust is still there.

You can spray the inside of a plastic bag, 3 second burst is all that is needed (DO NOT SPRAY ON CAMERA) with any household insecticide - I use Raid House and Garden -place your trail cam in the bag and then seal the bag with a twist tie. This will fumigate the camera.

or you can always use Sevin dust at the base of the tree tool Sevin does not have much odor or spray the tree trunk.

All I can think of since I worked in the bug industry.

JW

littlearrow 04-08-2012 01:50 PM

JW: Thanks for the additional information.

janesburg 04-08-2012 05:04 PM

I might add to throw a camera that may have been infested with ants in a freezer for a few days. It should kill the ants and eggs inside the camera. Then take compressed air (aerosal can for cleaning keyboards) and blow out the inside of the camera.

littlearrow 04-09-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by janesburg (Post 3928121)
I might add to throw a camera that may have been infested with ants in a freezer for a few days. It should kill the ants and eggs inside the camera. Then take compressed air (aerosal can for cleaning keyboards) and blow out the inside of the camera.

The compressed air you mention will work for cleaning dust etc. out or off any electronic product. The can I have was purchased at Staples in Canada. The name etc. on the can is as follows:
Air Blast
Powerful Jet Removes Dirt
InterAct Accessories, Inc.
A Recton Company
2950 Lake Emma Road
Lake Mary, Florida 32746
Email: www.interact-acc.com
I've had this can for a few years. If not available, there should be
some other brand available from a computer or electronics store.
janesburg: Thanks for sharing.

coyote61hunter 04-09-2012 08:40 AM

ill try the freezer idea first my dad has several bee hives about 50 yards away from my camera set up so im affraid if i put the sevens dust in it the bees would pick it up and kill off the hive

Alltlk4 04-09-2012 01:07 PM

I have had the same problem and I was given an off the wall idea that worked. Put your camera out when it is clean and free of ants and then spread vasoline around the tree both above and below where the camera is mounted on the tree, all the way around. Believe it or not the ants won't cross that stuff. I did not believe it at first but it works.