Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
The reason why trail cameras spook deer >

The reason why trail cameras spook deer

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

The reason why trail cameras spook deer

Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The reason why trail cameras spook deer

Check out the latest episode of Reality Deer Management and see the results of an experiment we did as to why trail cameras spook deer. It might surprise some of you. It was cool to see how the deer reacted to different methods of placing the camera.

http://youtu.be/XVQUSR5BdIk
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

titleist 03: Over time I have noticed a lot of the same. One thing I will add, I have had several bucks of various age, come up, smell and even rub the camera, then stand and pose. This presentation is well put together and I recommend members viewing it. When cameras came out with the video feature, I quickly changed over as video is more my interest and like this presentation states, "One doesn't realize what one is missing with just pictures". Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Very interesting, I will have to put more of my cams on vid mode. Thanks for posting this. Scoot
Old 03-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very imformative video, thanks for posting.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

There certainly is a lot of info on the video.. Thanks for posting it..
Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Great video. Hearing this alot lately and my gut is believing it.

There was some great nuggets in there, beyond the obvious. And one major one is NEVER mess with a scrape. That mature buck saw the camera, bolted, and they never saw him again.

Dont put a camera over a scrape, dont pee in it, dont add scent to it, Nothing but hunt it. If a monster buck knows ANYTHING has messed with HIS scrape, you lost him for the year. (Because no other buck will touch it)

I love the camera thing tho. It's a second hobby. Just cant have things in their line of sight. These guys put out a nice vid, I'm gonna have to check out more the their stuff.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great video, I really enjoyed it. I've had a little different experience with a lot of my video but I don't put my cameras near the trail or where there eyes will natural look at. I try and use quick triggering cameras and put them pointing perpendicular from the trails they are using. Then they aren't looking right towards the camera when they walk by. I've never had one spook on video and they few that have seen it just look and either walk away or come in to investigate. This year I probably have 100 pics of deer within 3 inches of the camera or touching it. I think the key is to try and not have the camera where their eyes will naturally look (right on a trail). I think a quick trigger is the key, then you can put it almost anywhere and when it triggers you will get that picture. My Bushnell Trophy Cams are my top pick, but everyone has there favorite. I like the Bushnell because if I don't check my camera in for two months in sub freezing temps that batteries seem to last.

Timmy, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I've added dominant buck urine to some nice size scrapes before and a lot of the time they are even bigger within the next day. If a buck thinks another buck is moving in on his area, he is going to let him know. This could also vary area to area and state by state. Plenty of things depend on how a buck with respond, hunting pressure, use of scents by other hunters, buck to doe ratio so I believe we both are probably right in our repective areas.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Great video, thank you very much for the post. it is most certainly a must see for any who runs trail cameras
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys!

As far as scrapes go, careful scent prevention must be taken, but I've had success messing with them!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I took of the Videos/Info was that I need to simply set my trail camera higher and aiming down on the subjects do they don't pick up the glow of an IR or flash camera?

I'm wondering how well the newer No-Glow Black Flash IR Cameras work at not scaring the Deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.