HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Game camera recommendation? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/357241-game-camera-recommendation.html)

semi 01-16-2012 04:10 AM

Game camera recommendation?

I am looking to purchase a game cam for a new deer hunting spot for next year. I don't really want to spend alot of money, maybe $100 or so.

The main feature i want is good battery life. I have heard some brand camera's have terrible battery life and there are a few that have great battery life.

I am not too worried about megapixels etc... this cam will just be to see what is in the area etc.... would like IR over flash if i can, but again, battery life is the main concern as i won't be unloading it every weekend.

littlearrow 01-16-2012 06:25 AM

semi: one would be better saving up and buying a better quality camera.
Lots of good reports on the Moultrie M80. I have two of the Moultrie M100
which are a higher version of the M80. At the time, the dealer did not have
any M80 in stock. These are excellent cameras. I run mine on video and Moultrie cameras, set for video, take a picture first, then the video. The field of view is
narrower in the video than in the picture. Also night video for the Moultrie
cameras are limited to 10 seconds. Emailing Moultrie prior to the M80, M100
manufacture, they had no plan to extend night video because it would be harder
on batteries. Moultrie offers a one year warranty. I have received excellent
customer service.
I have 3 Moultrie Game Spy D55IR. These have been reliable cameras. A large camera.
I also have seven of the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail cameras. These have
given excellent service. Mine have the viewing screen which is too small for the
extra dollar value. I stayed to this series because of the excellent performance.
Bushnell offers a two year warranty. I have received excellent customer service.
I have had axcess to 14 of the early version Wild View EZ Cam. When these cameras worked, they took excellent pictures. No video at this time as video was not yet
available. Cameras were hard on batteries. I switched to using the external 12
volt port running Energizer 300 which are used in ride on lawn tractors, snowmobiles
etc. A large camera.
I have had access to 4 Spy Point IRB. The first two were eventially returned due to
video flicker. Spy Point checked these out and replaced them with two brand new cameras. These take excellent day pictures or video. Night video isn't good, very
foggy looking. One year warranty and good customer service. A large camera.
Of the cameras I list, I would recommend the Bushnell (first) check reviews on the
newer year models, and either the M80 or the M100.

browtine7 01-16-2012 06:48 AM

Can not beat the moultrie DR 55 as far as I m concered for baterry life and they take really good pictures for the money. You get one for around $120

PastorJim08 01-16-2012 07:20 AM

In the $100 range many of the Wildgame Innovations or the Moultrie D55IR would work if the only thing you are intersted in is an inventory. I will say that the quality on any cheap camera is hit and miss. You might get a good one or you might not. If you have to replace a cheap cam two or three times then it is no longer cheap. If I were you I would go with something in the $150-$200 range. That would give you many more options. And while not guaranteeing you will get a a camera that won't ever give you problems, it will at least give you better odds.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

js7924 01-16-2012 02:01 PM

Semi
Those Moultrie D-55 are good cameras. All over ebay under $100 NIB

bhunter50 01-16-2012 05:09 PM

In that price range, you are very limited on quality. If I were you I would watch for a sale on the Bushnell trophy cams. Occasionally they dip to 150-170 dollars, and in my opinion for that price range, they are the best cam offered. good luck

car 01-17-2012 04:13 PM

I've got 2 m80 and I like them. There are newer version out now so you're looking at $140+. You can still find m80 on the internet.

mbecnel 01-18-2012 05:34 AM

I'm going to try one of these

http://www.huntenoutdoors.com/catego...Trail-Cameras/

scoot12 01-18-2012 11:01 AM

I would look also at the spypoint g4 from gander mountain, its gets real good reviews and meets all the criteria for you. It is $99 on sale, I got mine for $80 and it has great battery life, nice pics, and ir cam and very reliable. Scoot

WIbuckchaser 01-18-2012 02:16 PM

I like my M80.