Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Game Camera Solar Panel >

Game Camera Solar Panel

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Game Camera Solar Panel

Old 12-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default Game Camera Solar Panel

Has anyone had any experience with the Moultrie Game Camera Solar Panel or any other solar panels on the market. I'm looking for recomendations if anyone has any worth chasing. These lithium batteries are getting steep.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

js7924: I haven't used solar panels for the following reasons: 1) a good quality panel will run $75.00 plus. There are cheaper ones out there, but if one had those and was not satisfied with it, in my opinion it would be hard to sell. 2) a solar panel has to be out in the open to capture sunlight. This would be an easy steal, plus losing a camera at the same time, especially if you are in a theft area. 3) this year 2011 we are finishing up, there was a lot of cloud cover. Lots of complaints from farm people (no sunlight, no battery power). This system was used to power remote water wells, electric fences to name a couple.
Lithium batteries work better in cold weather because they have a higher voltage than the standard 1.5 volt batteries. Testing new ones, fresh out of the package (7X tested 1.79 volt, 8X tested 1.83 to 1.85 volt).
Another option is going to good quality rechargeable batteries. I have had good luck with Pure Energy which are available at most WalMarts. These come fully charged and show 1.5 volt on the package and testing with a digital meter, show 1.55 volt. Using a good charger, these can be bumped up to 1.6 plus volts. If any battery gets down to 1.0 to 1.2 volt, your camera will not function properly or not at all.
A good charger is Pure Energy, costing around $28.00 before tax in Canada, at most WalMarts. These chargers, although expensive charge faster. One is able to charge the following batteries: 4 each AAA, or AA or C or D. There is also two ports for charging 9 volt. I have had two of these chargers for over a year and am very satisfied with them. With any battery, make sure it is at room temperature before charging. Cold batteries do not accept the charge properly nor do they put out the proper voltage when cold. I always check the batteries with a digital meter. If one battery is lower than its partner in the charger, the first one to reach full charge shuts that area of the charger down. In the above mentioned charger, the light blinks until a battery has obtained full charge, then the light for that section comes on steady. Another thing to watch for with rechargeable batteries: if a battery is faulty, the charger may say it is fully charged. The battery has taken all the charge it will accept, but still not be fully charged. This is why I highly recommend a digital meter.

Last edited by littlearrow; 12-27-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i never had complete satisfaction using a solar panel on my cam....its usually 1 thing or another...my buddy did add a lil box thingy that stops the solar panel from sending electricity to the batts after they are full, but it seems the cam its self is saying the batts are still full, but if ya use a few flashes, it will show 45%. its killin me, im lookin into what lil erer just said myself
Old 12-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Spike

littlearrow and halfbakedi420, thank you for your response to my question. Looks like I will be looking in to rechargeable batteries and a charger(s). Your input will save whole lotsa $$$
I watch lots of wildlife plus they are great security cams.

4- Trophy Cams
2- M-100
2- M-55 IR
1- M-45 IR