Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Need help choosing a new game camera >

Need help choosing a new game camera

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Need help choosing a new game camera

Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need help choosing a new game camera

Looking at my budget I've narrowed it down to three, the Primos truth 46, the Moultrie D-55IR, or the Moultrie M-80. Which should I get and why? Or any good pros or cons for any of these?

Thanks a bunch
Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

From the group you listed, I probably go with the Moultrie M80.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

In my experience, i would have to go with one with a flash instead of IR. Didnt look up your choices so do not know if any of them have it. Unless you are also hidding your camera from people then go with IR. If not, the ones with a flash at night you can get mroe detail out of your photos, even change the backlighting in it with normal computer software and deer in the backround just out of range pop out. Done this many times, checked my photos, tried to lighten up the photo to see a deer better and BAM theres 3 more deer 10 ft behind it you cant even see.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer IR's, but flash cams have a place. You get more pics out of an ir per set of batteries. I know that doesn't sound like much, but a cheap flash cam will eat more than its initial cost in batteries in a year if you are not careful. In most ir's a set will last all year. One trick to extend battery life on a flash camera is to set the delay at 10 minutes. All of my ir's are set at multiple shots per minute. Simply put, it is numbers vs quality.

And far as reliability, they all stink. A well built camera is expensive, more than a couple hundred bucks. The customer service is a huge deal with trail cams.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Icetrey
Looking at my budget I've narrowed it down to three, the Primos truth 46, the Moultrie D-55IR, or the Moultrie M-80. Which should I get and why? Or any good pros or cons for any of these?

Thanks a bunch
I have 3 of the Moultrie GameSpy D55-IR and 2 of the Moultrie M100. The M100, I have had for a very short time but what few pictures and videos I have got, turned out good. At the time, the dealer did not have the M80 in stock. The M100 is the next higher series and cost more. If using Moultrie cameras for video, they take a picture first, then the video. The field of view in the video is narrower than the field of view in the picture. Moultrie said this is how they down load.
The Moultrie cameras will only take a 10 second night video. I asked Moultrie if they had any intention of extending the night video (this was before the M80 and M100 came out). They replied "No" as this would require more battery power.
The majority of the camera manufactures offer a one year warrantee, whereas Bushnell offers two year.
I have 7 of the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail cameras which have worked excellent.
I also have two of the SpyPoint IRB. My first two had video flicker. These were returned to Spy Point to be checked out. They returned two new cameras of the same series. These have worked fine.
Good customer service with any email inquiries to Bushnell, Moultrie and Spy Point.
The Moultrie D55-IR and the Spy Point IRB use 6 "C" batteries each whereas the Bushnell and Moultrie M100 will take a minimum of four or 8 "AA" batteries. The Bushnell and Moultrie M100 are much smaller cameras and are therefore easier to conceal.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have 2 moultrie d55 ir and they are decent for the price trigger speed is ok sometime pics are blury if deer are moving
Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Get a Tasco 3.0 its at walmart $50.00

Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

jrbsr:very nice pictures and clear videos. I noticed the video length is 15 second. Is the camera limited to this or are there various settings? What is the maximum night video length? Doing an Internet search I found Tasco cameras are manufactured by Bushnell. In this case, the warrantee should be 2 years. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by littlearrow
jrbsr:very nice pictures and clear videos. I noticed the video length is 15 second. Is the camera limited to this or are there various settings? What is the maximum night video length? Doing an Internet search I found Tasco cameras are manufactured by Bushnell. In this case, the warrantee should be 2 years. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
It is set at 15 seconds thats as long as it will record.
It is made by Bushnell.
It doesn't do night time videos since it has white flash, but takes pictures at night.
It is simple to use, if I can operate it, any one can lol

I love it.
I am sure you will too.

Good Luck
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like my M80.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.