Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Bushnell trail cam issues >

Bushnell trail cam issues

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Bushnell trail cam issues

Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bushnell trail cam issues

Just purchased a Bushnell 5 megapixel trail cam. Set it on a tree facing a field. After a few days, I checked the card and had a dozen pictures. All except one was shots of the scenery. I did capture one doe. I'm wondering if windy conditions making the tall grass move results in a shot. Is this common? The sensitivity was set to normal. I'm going to try changing it to low. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

The detection zone on the TC is wider than the field of view.
So it's quite possible that whatever critter triggered the photo never stepped into frame.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wetpwdr53
Just purchased a Bushnell 5 megapixel trail cam. Set it on a tree facing a field. After a few days, I checked the card and had a dozen pictures. All except one was shots of the scenery. I did capture one doe. I'm wondering if windy conditions making the tall grass move results in a shot. Is this common? The sensitivity was set to normal. I'm going to try changing it to low. Any advise would be appreciated.
If the camera is faceing east or west, the heat from the sun will make it trigger false pictures.
You need to put it either pointing north or south.
Thats what happened to my trail cam when I first put it out.
I hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onion721
The detection zone on the TC is wider than the field of view.
So it's quite possible that whatever critter triggered the photo never stepped into frame.
Originally Posted by jrbsr
If the camera is faceing east or west, the heat from the sun will make it trigger false pictures.
You need to put it either pointing north or south.
Thats what happened to my trail cam when I first put it out.
I hope this helps.
Both of these things could be the problem as well as foilage moving in front of the cam. I don't think I would change the sensitivity in the summer. With the higher temps the camera needs a little more sensitivity.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Spike

Some commercial cameras trigger on movement alone. Some require heat in motion to trigger. Direct sunlight on the sensor and the grass moving at the same time will make any camera trigger whether it is a commercial cam or a homebrew.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

My Trophy Cam gets plenty of blanks because the detection zone is bigger.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try changing some things. Hopefully the scenery shots will decrease.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have three of them right now. If you are in an area with some heavy heat right now that may be part of the problem. What I would also do is have it set to three picture bursts. Then click on the three pictures pretty fast and see if you see a lot of grass or branches move from the 1st picture to the 3rd. If you see a lot of movement in the grass, it may be enough to trigger the camera. Also, even though the grass may be cleared in front of the camera, make sure you don't have some that blows in front of the camera when you get a good shot of wind. A branch or a close piece of long grass could cause it to trigger.

I have to think the grass is somehow triggering it though. I haven't had a problem with the two I bought last year. Here is a quick pic of one I got last week, first buck I've seen in forever on my urban hunting spot.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Set your camera for video, if it has that feature, and you will soon see what triggers it. Branches or grass blowing in the wind farther out than what you might think is normal will trigger. Also flying moths and other insects at night can cause the camera to trigger.
I have Spy Point IRB trail cameras that will detect larger movement out to 150 yards in the day time if the conditions are right: ex. ( moving vehicles, machinery etc.) Passing the camera on a quad riding away from the camera, once the camera detected me it will keep videoing me as long as I am in the line of sight and the video hasn't timed out. I have travelled well over 300 yards going away several different times in day light. Coming back I may have to be 50 to 100 feet, but the size of the quad is much smaller than machinery or vehicles moving across the line of sight as compared to coming toward the camera.
fastetti: nice picture. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

moving braches, grass, leaves ect do set my cameras off......my last card check the card was completely full and it was all pictures and videos of a windy day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.