Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
looking to get my first trail cam >

looking to get my first trail cam

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

looking to get my first trail cam

Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my M80 so far.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by J Pike
How is that? What homebrew can I build for under $110.00? Not to mention the 4-5 hours of my valuable free time that is worth more than $110.00 to me. Pike
Well for starters, he asked for a cam for around $200. I have built 2 P32's, 1-P41, and 1 S600. And not one of them cost me close to $200. I dont count my time when I am building a cam for myself. Now, I will agree, there are alot of "store bought" cams in this price range, that take good pics. But, my P41, and S600 take just as good or better pics, then any camsyou can buy in a store. And, my warrenty is forever. And yes, P41's are priced thru the roof right now, but, If you are patient, and shop around, you can find them for cheaper then that.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
Well for starters, he asked for a cam for around $200. I have built 2 P32's, 1-P41, and 1 S600. And not one of them cost me close to $200. I dont count my time when I am building a cam for myself. Now, I will agree, there are alot of "store bought" cams in this price range, that take good pics. But, my P41, and S600 take just as good or better pics, then any camsyou can buy in a store. And, my warrenty is forever. And yes, P41's are priced thru the roof right now, but, If you are patient, and shop around, you can find them for cheaper then that.
Dude most people dont have time to shop around for a couple months to find a cam to use. Im not worried about lifetime warrenty If they dont have problems out of the box, (which only one of them did over the last 3-5 years, a M-80) I never have a problem with them and they usually last 3-5 years ( I had one cam stop working over the last 5 years but had 5 cams stolen, and the cam that stopped working got infested by ants and the date and time stopped working. Regarless when you can buy M-80's and X6C's for under $110.00 its just a waste of time any money to build homebrews. ( unless like I mentioned before you just enjoy building them, dont get me wrong, I can see its a cool hobby, I just would rather spend my free time with my kids, scouting, fishing or working out than building something I can buy for less money.) Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 08-08-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by J Pike
Dude most people dont have time to shop around for a couple months to find a cam to use. Im not worried about lifetime warrenty If they dont have problems out of the box, (which only one of them did over the last 3-5 years, a M-80) I never have a problem with them and they usually last 3-5 years ( I had one cam stop working over the last 5 years but had 5 cams stolen, and the cam that stopped working got infested by ants and the date and time stopped working. Regarless when you can buy M-80's and X6C's for under $110.00 its just a waste of time any money to build homebrews. ( unless like I mentioned before you just enjoy building them, dont get me wrong, I can see its a cool hobby, I just would rather spend my free time with my kids, scouting, fishing or working out than building something I can buy for less money.) Pike
I have had several Store bought cams over the past 5+ years, and can honestly say that I have never really had any problems with any of them.

2- Stealth 35mm cams (still have one, and sold the other)
2 Moultrie D-40's Very reliable cams, but crappy pics. IMO
3- Cuddeeback Captures (still have one, and sold 2)

If you are talking about a cam for $110, you are correct, you would be wasting your time trying to build one for that. But he was looking for something around $200. And if I am spending that kind of money, I will build one every day. I just finished a S600, and I dont have more then $150 into it. In order to buy something with the same quality as the S600, you are going to spend way more then $150. I will say it again, I am in no way knocking ANY store bought cam. I just prefer a homebrew. Can we just agree to disagree?