Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trailcam Longevity >

Trailcam Longevity

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trailcam Longevity

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 Moultrie GameSpy D55-IR. These cameras take excellent pictures and are very sensitive to motion. When set to video, they take a picture first, then the video. A software update is available from Moultrie to reduce the time delay. I do not care for: 1)night video is limited to 10 seconds. Moultrie says extending the time is harder on batteries. 2)The day video has a faded or washed out look as compared to the picture.
3)The field of view in the video is narrower than the field of view in the picture. Moultrie said this is due to how it downloads.
I have 2 SpyPoint IRB cameras. The first two were returned due to video flicker. SpyPoint checked them out and returned two brand new ones of that series. No more problem and excellent service from SpyPoint. These cameras take good pictures and I have night video set for 30 seconds. These cameras have detected moving vehicles (loader, vehicles, gravel trucks) out to 150 yards.
I have 7 of the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail Cameras. These have worked flawlessly, with the exception of: one must keep good batteries in the lower section. Each section is wired in series, then the two sections are wired in parallal. For some reason there is more power draw from the lower section.
I had 10 of the Wild View Ez Cam. These took very good pictures, but were very hard on batteries. To correct this, I used the external 12 volt port connected to a 300 Series Energizer battery. With th larger battery storage I could take pictures down to minus 30 degree Fahrenheit. At this temperature one got less pictures due to animals not moving around as much in colder weather. The batteries were checked with a digital meter and when they got around 5-6 volt, they were brought in, warmed up, then recharged. Since cameras come out that take video, I sold my Wild View and set all my cameras to video.
All my cameras are using rechargeable batteries and are checked using a digital meter. This is far more acurate than using the bar indicator that some cameras have. Using the Energizer C batteries, they show 1.2 volt on the package. Put them in a charger boosts them up to approx. 1.38 volt. Now install them in say the D55-IR and it will only indicate around 70% as compared to one showing 1.5 volt. I feel the software only recognizes 1.5 volt as 100% power.
I've had excellent customer service from Moultrie, SpyPoint and Bushnell. Just remember, holidays, weekends and a reduction in staff being on holidays take a little more response time.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:41 AM
Spike

The cameras I build are warrantied FOREVER!! You should expect to get 8 years of service before having any issues and issues then are few and far between. The Commercial cams are Plagued with Quality control Issues. They test 1 in every 10,000 cameras that come off the line and they are made in China. EVERY CAMERA I BUILD is tested in the woods on my lease for at least 2 weeks before it is shipped to the consumer. Check out my website....
Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FIREMANJIM01
They test 1 in every 10,000 cameras that come off the line and they are made in China. EVERY CAMERA I BUILD is tested in the woods on my lease for at least 2 weeks before it is shipped to the consumer. Check out my website....
I beg to differ.
Reconyx cams are not make in China (they are made in Wisconsin) and each cam through QC testing.
Selling goes in the classified section.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Spike

You are correct PNUT, The 2 game cameras made in the USA are Reconyx and Buckeye Cams. Both are quality units. Sorry if I OFFENDED you by posting PNUT!!!

Last edited by FIREMANJIM01; 07-23-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: to add a apology!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

FIREMANJIM01: Nice looking cameras. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

Just wanted to say, after my post like I said, my sD card broke so i didn't get two and a half weeks of pics. Just had my camera sittin out there doing nothing. How did I know this would happen....? hahah
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HardwoodHunter
Just wanted to say, after my post like I said, my sD card broke so i didn't get two and a half weeks of pics. Just had my camera sittin out there doing nothing. How did I know this would happen....? hahah
SD cards shouldn't break if you're using namebrand ones.
I'm still using my original Kingstons with my 5yr old Scoutguard.
Maybe it just needs to be formatted or the lock switch was on.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I reformatted it and tested it in the woods, i usually bring my laptop with me, and it still didn't work. After closely looking at it i noticed that a piece of the plastic on the tip of it was broken and some of the dividers too. All I can think is I must of missed the hole when putting it in last time, haha, and it caused it to break. Definitely the users fault.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have two Cuddebacks and they are still going strong for about 4 plus yrs. One IR and One flash. I tend to like the flash better then the IR. I like color photos in the night time!