HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   suggestions for trail cams (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/342160-suggestions-trail-cams.html)

glennkistler 03-18-2011 07:13 AM

suggestions for trail cams

we just purchased 290 acres to deer and turkey hunt. We have seen the signs and a few live animals while walking the property but need to start the real scouting. I figure 4-6 cameras. The land is 60+ miles away and we will get there, at best, 2 times in 3 weeks to check the cameras and replace battreries. What type of camera would the group suggest for those conditions?

PastorJim08 03-18-2011 10:39 AM

Welcome to the forums, always glad to see new people taking up this very addictive sport. Actually you picked a pretty good time to be buying cameras. Many of the retailers are trying to get rid of last years models because the new ones are almost ready to come out. I think there's a few questions you'll have to ask yourself before you make your purchase. Are they going to be over feeders or on trails. Is the primary purpose just to inventory what's there. Do you want white-flash or IR. If you are going over feeders or water sources, almost any camera will do since you won't have to worry about trigger speed. If you are going on trails then you willl need something with good trigger speed. You say you are checking cameras about two times in three weeks, almost any camera has that good of a battery life. If you are buying 4-6 units at one time, how much are you wanting to spend. The trend in cameras recently has been in getting the cameras smaller and smaller. A few good ones that are really small are the Scoutguards, Bushnells, DLC's, and the Wildgame Innovations X6C. Those are all solid dependable cameras and run anywhere from $120-$175.00. You can go cheaper with any of the Wildviews, Stealthcams, and some of the Moultries....anywhere from $69.00-$120.00. Here are a couple of sites to read reviews and be able to make an informed decision. www.trailcampro.com and www.chasingame.com. Hope this helps.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

scoot12 03-18-2011 01:48 PM

Welcome also to the forum, For under a $100 I would go with the wgir4, to me it is the best bang for your buck, I bought mine for $69 and it has been great camera. A little higher end camera is the scoutguard sg550. This is my best camera and its my favorite, batteries last a long time, pics are nice and it is very small, the reviews on this cam are very good. My cam I have with the best pics is the stealthcam i890. It is a flash cam and I have had great luck with it. It is around $110. Very nice cam also. If you can find the i590 it is on sale for under $90 that would be awesome deal. Welcome to the addiction. Its a blast. Scoot

jlaper3 03-18-2011 04:00 PM

I agree with scoot12 the wildgame innovations ir4 are great cameras for the price. I can get thousand of pictures on one set of batteries. I got some pics posted just look for jlaper3 they are all from those cameras. Plus they are very simple to operate. What county did you buy land I am also from Wisconsin?

jlaper3 03-18-2011 04:01 PM

Never mind your from north carolina

J.M.A.N. 03-20-2011 01:22 PM

I think the best recommendation I could give you would be to read QDMAs newest book

Deer Cameras - The Science of Scouting

Really hard to go wrong if you want to conduct a true proven survey method of what you have.:happy0001: Concerning game gameras - you get what you pay for! No exceptions.

vl Whitetail Genereal lv 03-21-2011 06:08 PM

I guess it all kinda depends on how serious you take it and also how much money that you wanna spend. This year I just had a ordinary camera to start out with and i got around 800 pictures of deer. Probably not a lot to most folks but thats pretty good for around here. I have seen cameras any where from 50-250 bucks and I had a 100 dollar and this year I upgraded to the Cuddeback IR and I haven't put it out yet but I will soon. But, I really don't see a lot of difference in any of the cameras. I mean they all seem like they can get the job done.
Good luck!

J.M.A.N. 03-23-2011 07:57 AM

http://www.trailcampro.com ROCKS!

Stonewall308 03-23-2011 09:09 AM

You might be getting ahead of yourself if you don't have any experience with trail cams and you intend to buy 4 to 6 right out of the gate. But hey, its your money.

I did a lot of research before christmas, including reading tons of reviews on cabelas and bass pro shops websites, and I ended up getting the Primos Truthcam 60. I bought primarily based on the reliability and features, with a price limit below $200.

Another thing to consider is the likelihood of theft. I based my purchase also on the availability and quality of lockboxes for the trail cam, which varies greatly for different models.

I am very happy with the camera so far. It takes good quality pics day and night, is very easy to set up. With an 8GB memory card, it is impossible to fill it up on one set of batteries. One set of batteries take about 3000 pics. The lockbox is rock solid; in addition to screwing the box to the tree, I used a chain attached to the padlock and wrapped around the tree. No one is getting that camera without some heavy duty equipment.

GTOHunter 03-23-2011 03:53 PM

Whatever camera's You decide on be sure to ge/buyt the appropriate cables and locks for them,You don't want the new camera's to be stolen right off the bat!Most of the trail camera's have metal lock boxes that fit their certain models..I highly recomend protecting your investments for getting stolen.

The different trail camera's I would reccomend.Start off with a few trail camera's and once You find one that works the best or You like to operate more than the others You can get more of them as needed!

Cuddeback Capture (Flash) trail camera.

Bushnell Trophy Camera (Bone Collector) Camo trail camera (IR No-flash Camera)

Moultrie D55 IR Trail Camera or the Moultrie I-60 IR trail camera.