Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
suggestions for trail cams >

suggestions for trail cams

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

suggestions for trail cams

Old 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Spike

I'm thinking the 2011 Bushnell cam,
http://www.trailcampro.com/bushnelltrophycamxlt.aspx

I've heard bad things about last years model, I also heard they back them up with warranty, hopefully they have corrected their problems with this new model.

Opinions?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

well I agree with a previous post about not buying 6-8 at the same time. according to the QDMA book JMAN was talking about 3-4 would be their suggestion for 250 acres. I still would only buy 2-3 to start with. I was in your shoes and could not figure out what I wanted. I also bought cheap and mid price cameras. I almost quit using cameras, the cost of batteries was awful and the quaility of the pictures was generally bad too. Most of them were so slow I got alot of missed shots. I was spending up to 40.00 a month on batteries. I figured that saving that I could buy a better camera with better battery life. You will need/want that feature also. I have heard all sorts of claims about battery life but My experiance was to go to a camera and very few pictures cause the batteries died. I had 4 different brands of cameras. I will not brand bash.
Now with that in mind I have 3 camera types now. I have a stealth cam which is ok and
I use it some of the time but I can still not stand to buy batteries. the next is a home brew that I bought ....I will not sit down to build one. It has been working on the same batteries I think 3 months. It is getting tweaked right now and I should have better quaility pictures with it. I can deal with that and each HB will do different things like a comm. camera. I do not care what they look like. I want speed, quick recovery between shots, picture quaility, and battery life. Some of the guys here can suggest a good HB builder and I will probably buy another at some time. The next camera I have is a MK-10 camtrakker. I love mine, batteries are rechargeable but they can also last for 2 months. They are fast and I have alot of posts here chech them out. I like mine so much I have been accused of selling them and working for them, neither is true. I do live close to their factory. They have made many improvements since the CG report, which in the long run was a good thing for them. I will stop now, I am sure I will stir something up.
If you do not know if you want to do cameras much buy cheap and put out feed. That will allow enough time for the cheapest cameras to get a picture. If you like it and want better quaility pass the mid range and go for a high end camera. I also consider a HB a high end camera. If you get the right builder, just like picking the right man. of a camera.
Good luck and have fun, I am addicted to cameras and everyone has an opinion. check them out close.