HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Little Acorn vs Plot Watcher vs Scoutguard series.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/341153-little-acorn-vs-plot-watcher-vs-scoutguard-series.html)

kwaldeier 03-01-2011 01:53 PM

Little Acorn vs Plot Watcher vs Scoutguard series....

Alright guys,After i get married my fiancee said that i could have 300$ to spend on whatever hunting i wanted. I PLAN on buying a 200 dollar camera and a 100 dollar stand(most likely from walmart). Anyways i LOVE my scoutguard 550s( i have 3) and i plan to love the scoutguard series. I have not followed along with them or how they opperate so i a not sure which one is the best of the series with the least problems. I THINK i would get great great use of a plot watcher because i could see where deer enter/exit. Which i need! Also i have heard about the little acorn cameras. Im torn between a time laps and a triggered movement camera!Anyways if i wanted a fast camera, good pictures with good battery life would a scoutguard or a little acorn do?Is there a 200 dollar camera that also has time laps so i could switch between time laps and triggered movement pictures when needed?

ronman1 03-03-2011 04:16 PM

I'm not familiar with the others but I used 2 Plotwatchers last year. These are the first cameras I've purchased as the other members in my club each have several traditional trailcams. I wanted to see movement patterns and caught several deer that we might not have known where around. I actually had a group of 9 bucks I caught on camera moving together in September. Even with a 5 or 10 second timelapse I only got 1 or 2 frames per deer. They were out about 30 yards so a traditional trail cam would not have triggered on those deer. The picture quality is as good as a traditional trail cam. Downside is the max you're gonna get out of the batteries is about 10 days. Maybe a little more with the longest delay settings and skipping the middle of the day. Also, there is no flash so no night pictures although I don't think this is as much a negative as the battery life. I think they are working on an external battery or battery extender if I'm not mistaken. Make sure to buy the right memory stick if you buy the Plotwatcher (it uses a usb stick in place of a media card).

J.M.A.N. 03-06-2011 11:23 AM

Ltl Acorn is not only a trail camera but has a time lapse feature as well. Using 4 rechargeable batteries, I got over 7,200 pictures in the time lapse mode. It will even run at night if you have the need for it.

The picture quality of the Ltl Acorn will far exceed the other two.

In a side by side test against a Reconyx the Ltl Acorn caught every deer as the Reconyx, it just didn't take as many pictures of the same deer.