Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Bushnell blank pictures >

Bushnell blank pictures

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Bushnell blank pictures

Old 01-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bushnell blank pictures

I bought a 2010 Trophycam this past year based on the fact that the 2009 model was so good. It turns out that the 2010 model has several issues not present in the 2009 model. The first one I had, as most of you know, had the run-away issue where it would just take thousands of pictures of nothing. I returned it to trailcampro and they were great about immediately getting me a replacement. I have still been less than impressed with the performance of the replacement cam partly because it still seems to take alot of blank pics. Not the run-away issue like on the first cam, just what I felt like was more than it's fair share of pics with nothing in them. This morning I am looking at the trailcampro website in their detection zone section. It shows that the detection zone of the sensor is wider than the field of view of the camera. This probably explains why I have so many blanks. The sensor is picking up the animal before it moves into the field of view for the camera and even though the camera triggers, it can't yet see the subject. Thus, just a blank picture. I looked back at some of my pics, and sure enough, the blanks almost always seem to happen just before or after it did capture an animal. So that leads me to believe that there were animals there most of the time but they were just outside of the cameras field of view. This section on trailcampro's website is a must read for anyone considering the purchase of a camera. It is most helpful and informative. I know this was a long read but I hope it will help you in your decision on your next purchase. Here is a link to that section.

http://www.trailcampro.com/2010detectionzonetest.aspx

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good info Jim - thanks!

Thinking about it it makes sense through my trial and error.
My remedy is to TRY and place the camera where the deer has to get funneled towards the front of the camera, like a thick spot of somesort.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Pretty much the only con of this cam, besides blurry night images on occasion.

About the only thing you can do, move the cam back a few extra feet, but then you run the risk of being out of flash range.

Spot the deer in these pics?

Overall I'm happy with the Bushnell.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

You can correct this with a small piece of masking/duct tape on the edges of the fresnel to block some detection width. Had to do that to a couple of mine. I have had to do this on one of my 09s as well.

I first discovered the problem after reading the above article.