Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
IR spooking deer?(NO) >

IR spooking deer?(NO)

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

IR spooking deer?(NO)

Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default IR spooking deer?(NO)

Anyone else think this?

I had an old moultrie out for ~10 days on a bait pile, several pics of bucks, mostly the same 4-5 bucks at different times of the night.

I noticed awhile back on scrape pics that I never saw the same buck twice while using the Bushnell, chalked it up as bucks are roaming and not likely to come by more than once or twice.
Then I started thinking about earlier set ups, I can honestly say that I haven't got multiple night pics of the same deer on the Bushnell, buck or doe.

Looking through my pics, it's obvious that deer have the wth reaction when the ir goes off, and they seem to never return like they do with the incandescent flash.

Your thoughts

Oh and what brought this on is I swapped the Moultrie out with the Bushnell, the Bushnell has taken 3 pics in 2 days
all those were within 6 hours of setting up the camera, none since except for some does around 11am today.
Same location the Moultrie was taking 12-18 pics a night.

Last edited by onion721; 12-23-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

both ir and white flash spook deer to a point in my opinion. i have seen about the same reactions with both types of camera on deer, but i can definitely say the ir spooks coyotes more. i really think it depends more on the deer itself as to which would spook them more. i recently got a 4 year old buck on my ir cam and he has come back 4 times in the past 3 days, with 3 of the times being at night and i have had bucks avoid my cameras after getting their picture taken with each type of cam as well
Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunt4Life23
both ir and white flash spook deer to a point in my opinion. i have seen about the same reactions with both types of camera on deer, but i can definitely say the ir spooks coyotes more. i really think it depends more on the deer itself as to which would spook them more. i recently got a 4 year old buck on my ir cam and he has come back 4 times in the past 3 days, with 3 of the times being at night and i have had bucks avoid my cameras after getting their picture taken with each type of cam as well
This!

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 12-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah yeah I figured I'd hear that

I guess I'll give it a few more days.
But ~5 different bucks pulling a disappearing act once the ir flash cam goes up, hmm.

I think subconsciously I just want to get rid of the Bushnell....
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have 2 moultrie i-40s and 3 bushnell trophy cams. One thing i noticed is that my moultries make a faint clicking noise everytime it takes a pic. The bushnells are 100% silent. With my moultires i usually only get 2 IR pics in a row of the same deer. With the bushnell I have had it take up to 20 continous pics of a deer before it went of the the detection area.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onion721
Yeah yeah I figured I'd hear that

I guess I'll give it a few more days.
But ~5 different bucks pulling a disappearing act once the ir flash cam goes up, hmm.

I think subconsciously I just want to get rid of the Bushnell....
If you decide to sell it I may be interested.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 125py
i have 2 moultrie i-40s and 3 bushnell trophy cams. One thing i noticed is that my moultries make a faint clicking noise everytime it takes a pic. The bushnells are 100% silent. With my moultires i usually only get 2 IR pics in a row of the same deer. With the bushnell I have had it take up to 20 continous pics of a deer before it went of the the detection area.
I had an old stealth cam that sounded like a phosphorus flash going off, still took plenty of pics though.

Looks like the bucks are starting to return, none of the bigger bucks yet.

Bushy was busy the last 36 hours, album.

I really love this pic, fading light with the IR makes it look it's in HDR.

IR spooking deer?(NO)-a67ab5c9.jpg
Old 12-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

onion721: I find some deer will back off, while others are curious. I've had deer, elk and moose come up and nuzzle the camera. Some have spent a fair bit of time checking it out. Bears just love to mess with the cameras. Some of them almost seem to suggest you don't have the camera at their favorite angle. Older coyotes usually disappear pretty fast, but the young ones don't seem to care. I had a set of lynx kittens put on quite a video performance.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's all in the animal. Some are scared of there own shadow let alone a camera.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

One of the bigger bucks finally returned.
I think it may have been a pack of coyotes that pushed the deer out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.