Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
I need your guys help... PLEASE >

I need your guys help... PLEASE

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

I need your guys help... PLEASE

Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Spike

Default I need your guys help... PLEASE

ok, Ive got a pond, keep stocking it with fish just to find that something is going in the water, pulling the big cats out and eating them.

I installed a chain link fence hoping to stop this, and all that did was bring to light just how many fish are being taken, as now the "critter" cannot drag the fish past the fence.

I was wanting to add a motion camera that can take good night pictures, and I came here for your opinions on what to get. No need for IP recording, or anything, any memory card type will do, no bells and whistles, just a good clear shoot and save will be great. Bare Basic models. (battery powered)

I assume I will have to have it pretty close, so I intend on baiting the ground close to the camera to have a better chance on successfully identifying the "critter"

Guys, whats a good dependable outdoor camera that will work at night, and reasonable on price (no more than 150$). I only need 1 picture, so investing in a season after season camera would be overkill.

Please be as detailed as you like with pros and cons. The more I know the better.

I thank you in advance for your time, and opinions.

I realize this isn't a trapping method, or maybe not even the best way to go about this, but please lets keep the discussion to Cameras. Thank you again!

Last edited by xesvuli420; 12-06-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

personally I would just go get a Moultrie D55 Flash camera, it just plain works, around 100$ does the job and again it just PLAIN WORKS, you could always go on ebay and get one, I just bought a D55IR for 26$ now it was untested so I took a chance but hey it works great
Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

D55 is great idea or even a D40. Been seeing those on sale for around $69.00. Good luck.

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'd spend the money on a trap, put a catfish in it, and wait til the next day. hard to beat 3d over hd
Old 12-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

When you buy your camera and get the one picture you will find an otter on it. They have suggested good choices for cameras. Find the run generally on the dam where it is going in and out. And that would be you best bet for setting the camera to catch the critter. I have a lake and have had the same problem. Good luck
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Go to www.chasingame.com and go over the reviews on all the cams to give you an idea of what works for the money..................
Old 12-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Check this thread out.
It may help you.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trai...l-cameras.html

I use the Tasco 3 megapixal from Walmart $50.00, and a PNY Optima 4 Gig HD SD card $12.99 also at Walmart.
$62.99 plus tax and your set.

Go here to see the kinds of pictures, and videos it takes.

http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/...nd%20Pictures/

I keep it in video mode, and at night it taks pictures, but in the day it will take videos.
You can set it for pictures, or videos.

I hope this helps.

jrbsr
Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am so confused . You spent how much money putting in a chain link fence and all you wanna do is get one picture of the critter?? Something seems "fishy" here haha. I'll tell ya what the critter is and you can save yourself the camera and go get a couple traps and remove it. Its an otter. If you don't wanna kill it get a large cage trap such as a havaheart and bait with some fresh fish. If you wanna kill it get a 220 conibear and do the same with a bucket set.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs
I am so confused . You spent how much money putting in a chain link fence and all you wanna do is get one picture of the critter?? Something seems "fishy" here haha. I'll tell ya what the critter is and you can save yourself the camera and go get a couple traps and remove it. Its an otter. If you don't wanna kill it get a large cage trap such as a havaheart and bait with some fresh fish. If you wanna kill it get a 220 conibear and do the same with a bucket set.
I agree it is an otter, I used a hav-a-heart and put half in the water with a cat fish in it. Secure it and it is a sure catch. Then I gave it to friend to do away with it. It was really pissed. How do you do a bucket set? Sounds interesting.