Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
using cams in the cold >

using cams in the cold

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

using cams in the cold

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default using cams in the cold

This is my first year using trail cams. What a blast, it is very addicting. My wife and I bought 40 acres so I was lucky enough to be able to use some cams. I live in Wisconsin and has anyone left there cams out over December and January. I left one cam out overlooking my food plot and it just snowed seven inches. I think pics of deer in the snow look awesome. Anybody had any problems with there cams in the cold? Thanks Scott
Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have 2 Cuddebacks, and I had them out all last winter and they worked fine. Your batteries wont last as long, but other then that I didnt have any problems.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually have at least one or two out year round. Doesn't seem to bother them. Welcome to the addiction!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

They should work fine. The only down side is the batteries do not last as long, for me any ways. Good luck with the snow images.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, welcome to the forums Cam Fan. Hope to see some of your pics real soon.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

I've had great success with my Moultrie's and Cuddyback's in the snow and cold, you get some of the best pics, there's no doubt they get a bit slow and burn through batteries a bit faster but it's worth it.

check out the temperature on this picture from this past January in Manitoba

Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

My cousin and I have 3 out right now, 2 bushnell trophy cams and a cuddeback. The batteries won't last as long and sometimes if it gets really cold the picture quality is a little grainy but otherwise they work good. I also live in Wisconsin.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
Hey, welcome to the forums Cam Fan. Hope to see some of your pics real soon.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
I would be glad to post some, this is not the right posting spot for random pictures is it? I will look around and put some out there for you.

Sounds like you must have a bunch of cameras. I have just a few and hope to keep adding to them. I am hooked.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Just start a new thread with your pictures so we can enjoy them ;-)
Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

The key to cold weather cams in Wisconsin I believe is investing in good batteries. Alkalines batteries will not last as long as rechargeables and lithium batteries last forever in the coldest of temperatures. I install Energizer Lithium AAs in my Reconyx cameras and they last all winter. I also have 2 Moultrie I-40s which I use rechargeable Energizers in all winter. Generally I will have to recharge the I-40 batteries once over the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.