Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Fisher or Pine Marten? >

Fisher or Pine Marten?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Fisher or Pine Marten?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Spike

Default Fisher or Pine Marten?

My dad and I have been going back and forth as to whether this is a pine marten or fisher. I don't have a pic of his face, but this is the best one that I've got. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Fisher or Pine Marten?-dad-s-stand_625.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the videos and comments under the thread "Something Different." I ran into a similiar situation, being unfamiliar with a fisher. Several forum members helped out.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a fairly small fisher. Pine martin have a very small population in WI and are found in only 3 areas of WI but primarily 2 areas since one of the areas the populations have been decreasing drastically and all locations are in Northern WI. Pine martin in WI have not done well it sounds like the DNR is going to try and introduce more into these 3 core areas to bring in more genetic diveristy and try to boost the population but until they figure out why Martin are not doing well in WI it is basically sending them to a death sentence. Cool pic tho. Where in SE are you located. Fisher have been moving farther and fartehr south expanding their ranes with their increasing populations. Fisher and martin were both reintroduced to WI in the same core areas due to habitat specifications however fisher were introduced years before martin so they got a head start. Also fisher are much bigger and can out compete and kill martin and fisher seem to be less habitat specificly dependent (as observed by such a broad expansion of their ranges and various habitats they are being found in within WI) where martin are habitat dependent on large old growth conifer stands (which have dwindled in WI).
Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Spike

This was actually taken just north of Wausau where I hunt (I live in SE WI...Racine to be exact)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ic. Well Wausau is still kind of out of martin range but its very possible for them to be near wausau. However looking at the color of the aniaml it tells me fisher with its real dark brown coat with the steal grey mixed into the front half and head. Martin tend to me more chocolate brown all the way through with light brown to blond hilights. He is the martin distributions in WI that are continuing to dwindle. The current populations are basically in just the core areas right now although I'm sure there is a few outside of it in the general distribution.

Last edited by wingchaser_labs; 10-18-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marten for sure. Pretty cool
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You said you had more pics. Post em if you can. Might get a better look at the tail and body size better.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My vote is fisher.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a female fisher.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Spike

Here are the other pics that I have
Attached Thumbnails Fisher or Pine Marten?-unknown2.jpg   Fisher or Pine Marten?-unknown3.jpg   Fisher or Pine Marten?-unknown4.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.