Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trail cam picture quality >

Trail cam picture quality

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail cam picture quality

Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trail cam picture quality

For me, the quality of the photo's a digital trail camera takes is not as important as how realiable it functions. Battery life is also just as important and if it eats them up that can become as costly as the 35mm type of old that you had to develope the film. Thank God for digital technology!! Nothing worse than developing a roll of film and having nothing but Raccoons, fox's and everything else but what you want. There are a bunch of real good cam's out these day's and there are also some that are not so good. I have used the older 35mm type Moultry & Cuddyback and those are now packed away somewhere never to be used again. The last couple of years I have been using the WildGame Innovations cam.s and have been very satisfied with how well they work. Picture quality with any cam has more to do with how they are setup in relation to the Sun on sunny day's. Cloudy days are usually not a problem and nighttime shots with the "WildGame" can be a little grainy at times depending on the distance from the cam to the object. They recommend best quality is usually found under 30 ft and I would say that is about right. I honestly don't care how clear the shot is as long as I can make out what it is. A decent photo editor can help to enhance the photo if need be and that's good enough for me. All I want to know is, are there any good Bucks in the area or not. I have uploaded night time pic's of deer that once I enhanced the shot discovered they were bucks. These cam's also come with the ability to use a 2 GB SD chip which is a plus. Most cam's out today have that option.

Here are a few recent pic's with the Wildgame cam's if anyone was curious how well they take pictures. The time/date stamp on these photo's are off only because I had a "brain fart" and foregot to set it up on the cam. But these cam's do function well in case you were wondering, at least the one's I own do anyways.

Daytime photo's

Night time photo's

This buck is about 50' from the cam in this shot.

The bait pile is 30' from the cam where he is now.

I think for the money "under $100" these cam's work just fine for what I need them to do. I will probably buy a couple more next year so I can cover more area in this hunting spot. I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who uses a different camera brand as to how these WildGame Innovations cam's work compared to what you use.

Bill

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 08-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the daytime pics from that cam. As you stated, the night photos are a bit grainy. The main thing that is important to me with any trailcam is it's ability to detect and quickly take a pic. It doesn't matter how good it's pics are or how fast it triggers. If it can't "see" something, it can't take a pic. I suspect that we don't know what we miss because the camera didn't "see" it. Picture quality is very important to me so when I buy a camera, I always look for two things; detection zone and pic quality. The camera with the best overall pics remains my old Moultrie I-40s, which I no longer have. But I'm sure there were things they missed. My Reconyx misses nothing and it's daytime pics are great, but it's IR photos aren't as good. My recently completed homebrew takes fantastic pics, both day and night, and it's detection zone is very good, but it's a little finiky. On the other hand, I have a $90.00 Stealthcam that takes great day and night pics but I know it misses a ton of shots, especially in hot weather. So I guess the perfect trailcam for me would be great detection zone, great pics, fast trigger speed, and affordable. I haven't found the "perfect" one yet but I would have to say the Reconyx and the homebrew come close.

Blessings.....Pastorjim