HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Tasco trail cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/327802-tasco-trail-cameras.html)

Robbi 08-16-2010 01:20 PM

Tasco trail cameras

Hello my fellow hunters. I was looking for an inexpensive trail camera to hang on a property about 3 hours from my home. I took a trip to WalMart and see they are selling a TASCO model Trail Cam. I was not aware that TASCO made cameras. I have gone to the web and the reviews there are very mixed from either 5 star to 1-2 star. I figured I would come to "THE SOURCE" to see in any of my Hunting.Net collegues have had experience with these TASCO trail cams and if they are worth the 50 bucks Wal Mart is asking for them.

J.M.A.N. 08-16-2010 02:14 PM

Robbi,

Tasco is owned by Bushnell. That being said, Tasco is the low end arm of Bushnell designed to sell "price point" products. That is what this camera is...a price point.

When it comes to trail cameras, the old addage "you get what you pay for" could never be truer. I started out with a $50 camera and three weeks later I returned it and went to a $79 camera (oooh, such a big leap). Kept it for a week and two sets of D cell batteries before sending it back and just getting a refund. This is when I did an internet search for game cameras and came across http://www.trailcampro.com, Chasingame, and few other places. The statistics at TrailCamPro is what settled my decision on my next purchase and that was the first of 7 Bushnell Trophy Cams (BTCs) I have purchased and some of the best money I have ever spent.

The statistics on the Tasco aren't bad, but they aren't really good either. It certainly would have problems as a trail camera with a 2+ second trigger time. It might be OK for a feeder cam. I'm not sure but I think with the Tasco you can only do 1 shot every 30 seconds-1 minute and that is about all you can set. Not sure how the battery life is on the Tasco which to me is one of THE most important aspects of a camera as well as trigger speed, recovery time, burst mode, and sensing ability.

Buying a game camera is really not a simple question and one I don't think you will be able to answer with a $50 camera. The WGI IR4 ($79.95) will give you a whole lot more bang for your buck as far as an inexpensive camera goes and seems to have a very respectable battery life/picture life cycle. Be very careful, this is an addiction!

JMAN

PastorJim08 08-16-2010 04:18 PM

I have to agree with the last poster in that when it comes to trailcams, most of the time, you get what you pay for. What I have found with really inexpensive cameras is that it's kind of a crap-shoot. You might get a good one and you might not. If you can still get them, the Stealthcam I-590 might be a good choice. They are usually under $100 and take really good pics. The Spypoint FL-A is also a decent camera for the price. Hope you find what you want.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

bandgod 08-17-2010 05:09 AM

I don't know how the newest tasco cameras are, but their old cameras worked great. I have one of the older versions out right now that has lasted a little over a month on the same set of batteries. I don't know how fast the trigger speed is, but I rarely have a blank photo, but I tend to put it over a scrape and have had great success with it. The older tascos sold for $79, and I don't think there was ever a "test" done on them. The newer model has been tested, but I haven't checked out the reviews. I am tempted to try the newer tasco as I really thought highly of the old version.

Hunting Kuk 08-17-2010 06:23 AM

I use a tasco and absoultly NO! complaint's from me I love it! Its cheap I've only chagnged the batterie's twice the entire life, and it takes good picture's go to my profile and look those are all tasco picture's my avatar is off my tasco