Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Flash or IR??????? >

Flash or IR???????

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Flash or IR???????

Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Flash or IR???????

Share some of your experiences with using flash or IR. I have two Moultrie I40's and one D40. Night time pictures are much better on the flash camera and the daytime pics are very similiar. Just didn't know how much a flash might bother some deer? Doesn't seem to bother a couple shooters I have too much?? If thats the case why not save some $$ and go with the flash cameras? Thoughts? By the way, I'm not the type to spend $300 on a camera. I'd rather have 3 $100 cams and take my chances instead of having 1 $300 cam.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally do not think it makes a difference either way. The deer stand and stare at my IR cams just as much as they stare at my white-flash cams. If you have food or some other attractant down, they will really be more focused on that anyway. I really prefer white-flash cameras because I like the color night-time pics and you don't have the issues IR cams sometimes have with transitioning from daylight to dark.

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
I personally do not think it makes a difference either way. The deer stand and stare at my IR cams just as much as they stare at my white-flash cams. If you have food or some other attractant down, they will really be more focused on that anyway. I really prefer white-flash cameras because I like the color night-time pics and you don't have the issues IR cams sometimes have with transitioning from daylight to dark.

Blessings......Pastorjim
I've never owned an IR. But everything else Jim says I totally agree with.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

The bonus about IR cams is awesome battery life. You can get 3-500 pics a week and still last for 6 months. Try that with a flash.

Flash scaring the deer? I dont know about that. Depends on the individual deer I guess. The IR's(except high dollar black flashes) do lightly glow red and still go click when they take pics. To me, IR seems a little less invasive.

I did borrow a cuddeback flash from a friend this week to try to get color pics of a pair of albinos I have on my property. It is the first time I've ever really wanted a color pic.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Flash cameras can give away your camera's position to other 2 legged creatures...and they might decide to take it off your hands. IR cameras are more stealthy.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have pics of deer sleeping in front of the D-40 at night. so my take is flash dont bother them
Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it doesn't bother you what you have I'd say buy the cheaper ones with the flash.I have both kinds and deer don't seem to mind the flashes on mine. Heres the way I look at it. If flashes bother deer, then they'd end up burying their own heads in a lightning storm. It may catch them off guard but they'll learn it causes no harm to them. Kinda like a feeder spinning and throwing food.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

I tried a flash camera first and it took great pictures but i would only get one picture of a deer and then they would be gone or they would run farther out and stare. I get way more pictures with an ir camera and they don't even pay attention to it, but that's just how the deer are on my property.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

i agree that it doesnt scare them, at least not after awhile.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both and the deer could care a less about either types now that they are used to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.